Two Canisters Output to One Spraybar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aclark

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have two Marineland Magnum 350 canisters both running on a 75 gallon tank. One is outputting to a DIY PVC spray bar that is about 2/3 across the back of the tank, and the other is outputting to the supplied nozzle that came with it. I was wondering if I made a single PVC spray bar the whole length of the tank if I could run both canisters to it without effecting flow, or getting a backflow into one of the canisters from the other. I made a rough sketch below.

As far as hardware, the output lines are 5/8" rubber hose. Thinking I can get some sort of 5/8" Y connector (like this?) for the hoses then run another line of 5/8" hose up to a PVC T connector that has the PVC spray bar on both sides capped on the ends.

Does this sound like it would work? Do I need and/or do they make some sort of 5/8" check valve so I know one canister won't back fill into the other?

It will decrease the flow a small amount, but I doubt you would notice the difference.

I would suggest using adaptors to make the main line slightly larger than the returns on the canisters. The larger the hose, the less resistance there will be against the flow. Probably 3/4" or 1" would be sufficient.

They make check valves, but the reliable ones are really expensive. I personally wouldn't bother.

Back
Top Bottom