Undergravel Tunnels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebel1970

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just put together an under gravel tunnel system for the fish to swim. I made it out of 1" PVC with elbows and T's. If they don't use it I can always remove it during a water change. If this works well, maybe next time I will use a flexible hose and really get creative with it.

Attachments

• IMG_8402.jpg
    IMG_8402.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_8403.jpg
    IMG_8403.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 258
Wait so the fish are going to swim in this? I f so it would be cool if it were clear keep us updated.

I am hoping that they will swim through these. You have a great idea about these being clear...Wish I would have thought of that first instead of the pvc. Maybe next time if it works out. GREAT IDEA OF CLEAR!!!! Thanks!!! I will keep you posted for sure.

I just found a company in GA that has clear PVC, and fittings. It is a little pricey, but if this works, next time I will go clear and place the tubes next to the glass for viewing the fish in the tunnels as well.

Sounds pretty cool. Following along.. curious to see if the fish swim through. :popcorn: How will you know, though? It will be hard to peek in and see.

I will watch them and see if they go in one opening and come out somewhere else. That is my game plan at the moment. I think the 1" size is big enough that if 2 fish enter at opposite ends they will have room to pass each other without having to back up..lol

Last edited:
doesnt this kind of defeat the purpose of a tank, lol XD. i see where you are going with this, but i see some major problems with it.

oh, and if you do it with clear pvc it will grow algae inside of the pipes

I don't think it defeats the purpose. All of the fish won't be in here all of the time,or at the same time. As far as algae goes, that is a bridge I will cross when the time comes. I will have Algae eaters in the tank as well. I have the tank completely away from any sun shine too. I just this was a cool idea. didn't say it would be without problems or that it would work. Just an idea to have a little fun and peek interest or others. Heck I might have algae in these tubes, time will tell. I still need to figure out how to clean out the tubes. Maybe with a shop vac..lol!!!

:ROFLMAO: No offense, but seriously, what is the purpose to this? I mean, what if a fish dies in there? If not a fish, all of that other bacteria and waste will just accumulate.

I mean, I get your idea, but fish are here for our viewing pleasure. If you're going to put tubes under the gravel, why not just put a sheet over the entire thing and run it in your closet? Or what if they love it and all of them never leave the tubes? You could never prove they exist.

Ok, so enough with the criticism, I have an idea. What if you had 2 tanks, let's say 1 on each side of a window and then connected the 2 tanks with the PVC you were using (or a long clear piece). That way, you could have two completely different aquascapes; like 1 planted and the other all stone and driftwood. This way, the fish could go from 1 tank to the other. There's a bar or restaurant that has this but the tanks are like 30ft apart and clear. I'll try to find a picture and post it.

If you still want to do the undergravel, go for it, it's your setup. I'm just figuring that you will regret it one way or another.

Ok, so of course I find it after my post. Anyway, here's what I'm talking about:

Attachments

• aqu1.jpg
    aqu1.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 224
  • aq2.jpg
    aq2.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 514
  • aq3.jpg
    aq3.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 310
  • aq4.jpg
    aq4.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 306
I don't get the whole PVC tunnels thing either.

Fun idea. You will need to keep inside clean so it does not fill up with food and poo. You should attach a camera to one of the fish so you can see how they like it in there.

Dear uscamaro: The tank is for my enjoyment. This forum is for everyone else's entertainment. Come on now you have not thought outside of the box? I suggest you start at the top and read everything. If you have then perhaps you missed the part about using clear, as in see through pvc, or you missed the part about hooking the tunnels to a shop vac to clean them out. I never said this was a fool proof idea, but it sure got a lot of people thinking outside of the box, yes uscamaro...even you. and now I am ROTFLMAO!!! Again this is for my entertainment, and criticism just makes me laugh, and keeps me thinking!!!
If they love it, and never come out, well I guess that the fish will starve to death anyway!!! Makes the shop vac seem like a good idea then doesn't it? Again like I said, if I regret it, I can remove it during monthly maintenance. I spent less than $10.00 and am having fun before I even get water added to my tank. You spend more than that on a movie and popcorn. Mr.uscamaro...You make me laugh!!!

Well I'm glad I do! Anyway, I did read the entire thing, several times because it didn't make sense.

If you use clear PVC, what would the point be if it was under gravel anyway, you wouldn't be able to see it because it would be covered. If it was clear, and not hidden by substrate, congratulations, you just pissed the fish off because they can't swim where they want, but where YOU want.

A lot of the people on here will say positive things because they are awesome and don't want to say anything to hurt someone else. Me, I'm more of a realist, and I would like to make sure people see all sides before delving into anything 100%. I love when someone points out obvious things I don't see, it helps me, which is why I was trying to help you.

I'm glad you spent only $10. I get the shop-vac will suck out the dead fish, old food, and other random stuff, but the fact that you're thinking of failure shows that even YOU don't see this working out.

And to answer your first question: "Yes" I have thought outside of the box, that is why I am questioning you. I feel that you are thinking so INSIDE of the box, that you're literally thinking of putting a tank inside of a TANK!

If I hurt your feelings, then I apologize, continue with your experiment; you never know, you could start a whole new trend. I was just trying to help you open you mind just a bit more. Good luck, Sir!

I actually tried this once with a pearly jawfish in a SW tank once. I used a square acrylic pipe up against the glass and that way you could see him when he burrowed (jawfish are burrowing fish for those of you not as familiar with them) The tube was a great idea and algae never seemed to be a problem. Also jawfish are very tidy so now debris didnt stayed in his burrow long. Unfortunately the pipe couldnt stay entirely against the glass since I used sand in that tank, and sand filled in between the pipe and the glass. Idea ended up being a bust, but for 3 weeks it was pretty awesome. I am not sure any fish not used to burrowing would even go in there, but honestly its a good idea and cool to try.

Its a good idea with some flaws, i cant really understand how uscaramo doesnt think it will work loaches absolutely love tunnels and so do algae eaters. Although i do agree with him even if it is clear it will be undergravel so how will you see it and you havent got a rimless tank. But flaws to be worked on!

I just guess that you don't understand the part where I stated that if this works I would use clear plastic and place it next to the glass. Bury 2/3's of it and leave 1/3 exposed next to the glass, where you can see through it. I have already done this and it works. Thus making it possible to see the fish. And as for pissing off the fish. NO one is in the tank making them use or not use these tunnels again they swim where they want to. Now do you get it?? Beside, fish don't get pissed off, for those who don't know that about fish. Have a great day!!!

clear is going to get algae and coralline (if this is going to be salt water) all over it and won't be clear for long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom