Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-02-2011, 01:41 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Question Underwater Shelf

I just got my first big tank and I'm absolutely thrilled. Problem is, with how it's set up right now, the water from the middle to the top of the tank is completely open and my fish have been strictly sticking to the bottom where the plants are.

To help use up some of the space, I was thinking of putting some sort of shelf in the middle of the tank, ideally about 20" high. Maybe make it so it has little caves or arches to swim through and put some more plants on it.

Apparently there's a product like this sold, but it's very cheap and flimsy and fake looking. I don't want it in my tank. I've been trying to think of a way to make this myself with aquarium friendly products. Any advice or input?

P.S. I've put some taller growing plants in, but it'll be a while before they're actually.... tall.

10gal planted guppy breeding tank
100gal planted (still cycling)
Glassvirtuoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 04:29 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, you could set up your own cave system, which would be much more natural looking. Like, slate, tiles, ceramic bowls/pots, rocks, or any other thing. There have been a few recent threads (within the last month or so) talking about making caves. You could search for those or Google them.

I'm sure walking around a Pike's or every the garden section of Lowe's or Home Depot would give you some more ideas.

Just a thought, of course.

A shelf, I'm sure you could use silicon to make a removable piece out of whatever material you chose. I'm guessing your tank is already filled and can't move the fish out to permenantly fix the shelf to the tank.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

slate can be stacked to create a Shelf, and maybe you could put some java fern up there to get the greenery higher right now, a taller piece of driftwood can also have java moss and java fern attached to it to make the fish feel more comfortable higher up... Also, your fish may actually all be bottom dwellers and then nothing will get them up all the time, check out where the species like to be, maybe even look into gouramis as they are labryinth fish which means they breathe air as well as water, so they stay to the top naturally, dwarf gouramis are actually a pretty good community fish
Old 09-02-2011, 01:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Could you use acrylic or glass to build a shelf and then add it to the tank after it cures. At that point, you could cover it with substrate and put plants and decor on it.
That is, unless I'm misunderstanding your request.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:40 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i saw an amazing shelf/ caves made out of foam
Old 09-03-2011, 06:49 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

@Homer What kind of foam?

10gal planted guppy breeding tank
100gal planted (still cycling)
Glassvirtuoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 07:28 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ive seen different kinds. When i get home tonight or tomorrow ill post the video i saw
Old 09-06-2011, 08:57 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

3d Aquarium background with sandfall 1 - YouTube
Old 09-08-2011, 12:24 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to HalfMoon B
This is amazing! I was looking at something just like this for my upcoming discus build. Thanks for that link! It's beautiful!
Old 09-11-2011, 02:30 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Could you take a piece of plexiglass as the shelf and then build like some steps up to it and cover it all with substrate and plants? Kinda like the zones in the ocean?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com