Unique DIY Hood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Electrobes

Aquarium Advice Addict
I plan on doing an unusual hood. Basically I plan on building a "skeletal hood", because the lights I am using are big, LoA outdoor lights 68 watts 6,825 lumens. The thing is that I am using two, and actually lay on the tank quite nicely, but they dip into the tank.. meaning I would have to drain the water level down, which is a nono IMO. I need this hood to just lift the lights up about 3/4 inch or so as suggested by Mark. I like the idea of ventilation so I don't want a closed hood to trap heat in, hence the hood being like a skeleton. So yeah I thought anyone who was interested in seeing a different type of DIY hood being made could see it here. I start construction of it today, not sure if it can be finished today. If I do finish it though, actual pics won't be loaded until I get back to UF, which will be Sunday at the latest. :cry: Ahhh yes... how I love the tortures of summer school!

Argh, I woke up a it late and ended up not having enough time to actually build the acrylic skeletal hood, it will have to wait until I can visit home from summer school at UF :( - The good news is that I have gotten the supplies no problem, and on top of all that another bonus! My friend pushed me to make a wooden hood instead for the LoA lights, he thought it was interesting, but still thinks the fish are going to recieve skin cancer thanks to me :twisted: - Of course, considering this was my first time, we got measurements a bit messed up, but all in all it looks pretty decent. But of course my digital camera sits in UF all alone because my brilliant self forgot it :roll: - So when I visit from school, that shall be the triumpant day where I can take madd photos of everything! 8O

Taking the fact that I have no idea what I am talking about, is a wooden hood a good idea? Would it be possible for the lights to heat up enough to start a fire? Or is that not an issue because if the lights actually got that hot they would end up melting plastic hoods too?

is a wooden hood a good idea?

Believe it or not, when you here the word canopy around here, they are mostly made out of wood by the owner, or store bought, and enclosed in these canopies are more lights than you can imagine.

Would it be possible for the lights to heat up enough to start a fire?

That is a tough question, I believe it would depend on the type of lighting, however, I have seen Metal Halide lighting scorch wood. Most MH systems have reflectors that shield the wood from direct heat from the bulb. I would say it would be a little hard for the lights to start the fire, but in the event of DIY or faulty wiring, I believe anything is possible..

The lights that Electrobes is using, are encased in plastic and they do get very hot. I had one for a trial and it was very hot.. Not enough to melt the plastic housing, but hot enough to burn you if you lay your hand on it.. This is why you have to drill hoes in the plastic housing to let air circulate around the bulb to keep it somewhat cooler..

off topic, but I have seen a lot of people use the reflectors on the MH bulbs and on the other side of the reflector have a fan blowing air out of the hood entirely. Get it?

Yeah these lights get oober hot. I would suggest anywhere you can to attach a fan blowing into the lights, and drilling holes on the sides to let the air escape... creating a breeze for the light.

Back
Top Bottom