Units of Measurement for Water Quality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flanque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi,

What are the different units of measurement for the following?

Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Phosphate
Specific Gravity
pH
Hardness (KH)
Calcium

Thanks. Oh, is there a way to convert between all of these?

Ammonia, NitrIte, and NitrAte are all in ppm pH is how condensed are the hydrogen molecules and i dont know the rest all i know is FW im not a salty

Yeah but you can represent things like CA in dKH for instance. I would like to know all the different measurement units for the elements above.

pH = -log[H+] ..... [H+] is the concentration of hydrogen ions (= protons) measured in Eq/l (that's equivalents <number of charge, or in H+ = number of molecules> per liter) .... pH itself has no units.

KH is a measurment of the HCO3 & CO3 concentration ... this is measured in mg/l <milligrams per liters> which is the same as ppm. KH is also measured in degrees hardness (dH) -- 1mg/l = 0.056 dH. Note that the dH is US measure, there is also German degrees & grains (British?) hardness. You can also convert ppm to mEq/l. For CaCO3, 1mg/l = 0.02 mEq/l.

Picky technical note - typical KH kits do not measure KH! The kits actually measures total alkalinity, although the unit is expressed as the equivalent KH. (ie dKH)

NH3, NO2, NO3, PO4, Ca, Fe are all measured in mg/l (=ppm). You can covert to mEq/l by dividing ppm by the respective molecular weight then multiply by the number of charge of the molecule.

Specific gravity has no unit. This is a measure of density as a ratio to pure water.

Water's density = 1g/ml or 1Kg/l

if you add (say) 10 g of salt to 1l of water, the density of that salt water is (1000g + 10 g)/l or 1.010 Kg/l.

specific gravity = density of salt water /density of water ....

in this example sg = 1.010 Kg/l / 1.000 Kg/l = 1.010 .....

ie. to get specific gravity, you just calculate the density in Kg/l & drop the units!

Back
Top Bottom