Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-29-2007, 05:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

UPS' for keeping the taqnk running...

I was thinking, in the event of a power failure, a tank's equipment would die, so, I was thinking, why not use a PC's UPS to power the filters or pumps while the power's off?

I have two myself, and I don't normally keep them with my PCs as there tends not to be very many power failures here, but I keep the big one (180watts I think) nearby just incase, so my little one (90watts) would be perfect for keeping a tank's filter running...

Old 07-29-2007, 05:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

hmmm...

Old 07-29-2007, 06:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

That will not work. There isn't much power in those battery supplies. They are designed so you have time to save and shut down in case the power doesn't jump back on right away.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by theotheragentm
That will not work. There isn't much power in those battery supplies. They are designed so you have time to save and shut down in case the power doesn't jump back on right away.
I've run a small 11w fluorescent light off the 90w for a few hours, and the batteries themselves can power 12v things for a long time, so I see no reason why they cannot be used to power low-wattage equipment during a power failure...
Old 07-29-2007, 06:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I wouldn't just assume...........you should test it out.......let us know how long cuz it would be great if it worked.
GlitcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 06:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitcH
I wouldn't just assume...........you should test it out.......let us know how long cuz it would be great if it worked.
Well, I have used my UPS's for allsorts of things when I've not had electricity, so if they were used to power soley a filter or two then they definately should work...
Old 07-29-2007, 07:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can definitely run a few small pieces of equipment on the battery backups, but having the filter off for a couple hours is normally not a problem for the fish. The costs on those battery backups are not small I know, and they're supposed to be replaced every year as the batteries are not meant to stay in tip top condition after a while.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:59 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by theotheragentm
You can definitely run a few small pieces of equipment on the battery backups, but having the filter off for a couple hours is normally not a problem for the fish. The costs on those battery backups are not small I know, and they're supposed to be replaced every year as the batteries are not meant to stay in tip top condition after a while.
Well, the manufacturers reccomend you replace the batteries, but if you cycle them once a week then they last for a long time...
Old 07-30-2007, 11:14 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Interesting. I doubt any of the places I consulted at wanted to put that into their IT budget for hundreds of these bad boys.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:41 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I used my old Belkin backup (from my home theater system) to great effect about a year ago. We had a bad storm, lost power for about 12 hours and all was well. I had the AquaClear50 filter and the 100w heater connected in my 20 gallon and never drained the battery. Obviously the tank size and related filter/heater requirements will change the length the backup lasts, but it worked for me just fine.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com