Upside down tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hobgob

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have been thinking of a little tank and I have also been thinking of an upside down tank at the sane time. Basically I'm going to make around a 4g tank for the base and then maybe 2g upside down part. I don't want to go big my first try at a diy tank ad have it not work...
So basically, I was wondering what the best material would. Should I use glass or plecsy(so spelt wrong). Maybe there is even a better material. Also how exactly do you go about building your own tank? Any special steps? I assume all the cuts have to be perfectly straight and when you set the walls, they will need to be level? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated...
Thanks everyone.

I suppose I could just take a normal tank and make a custom canopy for it. Then I would only have to worry about the upside down part... Any ideas?

the common materials to make tanks out of are glass and acrylic, the edges of the pieces you cut need to be PERFECTLY straight otherwise it will not bond right, with a small tank you most likely will not need a frame, so the dimensions will be up to you.

its hard to get an idea of what you are talking about with an upside down tank, your clip didnt work for me,

Bschowa said:
the common materials to make tanks out of are glass and acrylic, the edges of the pieces you cut need to be PERFECTLY straight otherwise it will not bond right, with a small tank you most likely will not need a frame, so the dimensions will be up to you.

its hard to get an idea of what you are talking about with an upside down tank, your clip didnt work for me,

I'm sorry about the clip. It was a video of marinetechstore's upside down betta tank. How exactly do I get them perfectly straight? If worst come to worst I can just get the hardware store to cut them...

looks like a cool idea, good luck on it,

best bet for straight edges is a table saw.

i would go with a pre made tank on the bottom and just make the tank on top

Ya I figured that would be the best idea... One more question. Is acrylic and plexiglass the same thing?... Also for siliconing the top part. Should I just do it the same as resealing a tank or use more silicone? Would the water in that part be stagnant at all?

Ya I figured that would be the best idea... One more question. Is acrylic and plexiglass the same thing?... Also for siliconing the top part. Should I just do it the same as resealing a tank or use more silicone? Would the water in that part be stagnant at all?
I cant answer the second part of you pst because the link didnt work for me either so I am struggling to picture what you are doing but I can tell you the plexiglass is not the same as acrylic and is not good for making fish tanks. I believe it is because of yellowing but Im not sure.

With acrylic you would not use silicone, there is a special bonding material. I would imagine there would be a huge dead zone in the upper tank.

I am sorry about the link. I no what you mean about the dead spot. I don't know a good way to get it flowing though...

im not sure how you could circulate the water, but you wouldnt want to risk breaking the seal, otherwise you would have quite a bit of water on the floor

In the video, he drains it by breaking the seal. The water just bubbled until it sealed again. But I was thinking I would fill the bottom tank up enough so if the seal did get broke. The water would just stay in the bottom part (in theory). I would have to test it though. I was planning on doing everything possible to make sure the seal won't break. All and all, it will be a fun diy and its my first to...

the common name for them is open bottom tank. heres one guy he did it electonic instead of lung power by using a diaghram pump but you MUST make sure you seal the top well and it will help with filtraition for the top

which wont load but here is link

keenfish said:
the common name for them is open bottom tank. heres one guy he did it electonic instead of lung power by using a diaghram pump but you MUST make sure you seal the top well and it will help with filtraition for the top

which wont load but here is link

Also I don't mean to be smartbutt or anything but it doesn't matter if it's upside down or open bottom. In my eyes the bottom is closed by the other tank anyways... And the tank sit upside down so why can't it be called that? On YouTube you get them for both... It's just a name, no need to try and correct something pointless...

I think he was just trying to be helpful, there might be more build threads about others doing then under open bottom tanks that you can read and get info/ideas

Bschowa said:
I think he was just trying to be helpful, there might be more build threads about others doing then under open bottom tanks that you can read and get info/ideas

I know he was trying o be helpful and everything buy I personally found just as much information. I have been looking at it for awhile now and just didn't know what would b the best material... I just don't like how so many people just post saying your wrong it's this and that. I posted about a mouth brooder betta fish and a fellow member sat there saying I am sure there is no such thing. Unfortunately there is as we both learned.

The design is totally different to what I was going to do... He made made it all one thing where I am going to have the upside-down part it's own piece. The video loaded for me though...

Back
Top Bottom