Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-02-2012, 04:32 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

fill it out doors leave it a month see what hapens other option cut some braces and put then around the bottom edge viola

Old 01-02-2012, 04:37 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Is it the bottom pane? I've heard of people just putting another piece of glass in the bottom and siliconing it in over the broken one. I probably wouldn't risk it but that's just me.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes all the damage is on the bottom pane, can get replacement pane for about £100 but that leaves me to repair it, which altho I am more than confident I can do the job and am very experienced with silicon, it's still a heavy and scary prospect.

My fish room is inside my house instead of in a shed or garage, I must be mad I know, but I like being in there and don't feel I should have to leave my house to do so! Lol
Any way if the tank goes would make a nice mess. Was thinking of putting a drain in the centre of the floor just for good measure. Like what you get in a wet room.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:36 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
it doesn't even look structural. It's cosmetic. It's not even near the silicone from what i can see. I would fill that thing with water and if it holds.....fish.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:05 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok I've now got a replacement tank for £80 (cheaper than the glass to replace) should be picking up on sat. So good news. The tank with the chips, I'm gonna break it down and re-use the glass. Maybe make a smaller tank or something . Maybe rebuild using the glass from the new tank depending on the actual size of the new one. So I have options at least! Lol

If any one wants to have a go at repairing the glass or is brave enough to fill/ use the tank you are welcome to have it. But would have to pick up ASAP in Norwich in the uk.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:41 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

good on ya i wouldnt have trusted that. Break it down take about an ich off the edges and rebuild. Still be a huge tank i just got myself 133 litre for £25 could have had it for £20 without light im happy
Old 01-05-2012, 08:48 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

i have not had this problem before but i would test it out side and if any water leacks at all. get it repaired and then test it again.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:20 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok today I dismantled the questionable tank, and although it was a lot harder to do than I had expected. I'm glad I didn't bother with this tank!!!!!.

Firstly I found some damage to the bottom bracing under the sand that was left in. which I assume could have been a disaster . It was a large chip which was sharp, and could have damaged any fish put in it, but I guess under stress could have broken!!!!

Secondly when cutting away the silicon there was small traces of water under it, which I assume mean it was maybe resealed incorrectly. Massive flood avoided as far as I'm concerned

But on a good note I pick up the replacement tank tomorrow so good cycle and in good to go!!!! Whoop whoop

Also I have some 12mm glass panels to have a play around with. Might make a fry tank I think!

Thanks all for their advice in the matter. Will post pics of the new setup once it's stocked.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:21 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

A deep fry-er ?
Old 01-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok quick update.
Went and got the new tank and spent all day working on the final set up. I was gonna cycle the tank and then add the frontosa. Then I twigged all I had to do was fill up with the water from both tanks my existing tanks. I also used two mature filter

Any way it's all set up with fish , settling in . Will take some pis tommorrow when the light goes on. Personally i think it looks awesome,but would appreciate your views opinions ,advice and comments.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com