Urgently need advice - Large Tank Integrity?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ukdans1k

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a possible major issue!!!
I got given a 6ft x 1.5ft x3ft tank for free , I noticed when I picked it up it had a few small chips on the bottom edge of the tank not any think to worry about.

How ever having taken it of the van today. I noted more slightly bigger chips, some of which are a bit flakey. Along the back bottom edge and one of the corners which are a little bigger

Im extremely concerned over the integrity of the strength . The tank Holds 700 litre = 700 kg!!!!

However the tank is braced both top and bottom of the tank. Which kind of gives it a double layer of glass, at the bottom where the chips are. The glass is about 12 or 15mm thick.

So I could fill it outside see if it holds and bring it back in . but it might only hold for a month and then blow?

Does any one have experience of this? Is it repairable, and trust worthy? Can I use the resin for car windscreen repairs to fill the chips? Arrrrrrrgh what to do.

On the us side if it ain't worth fixing I can use this to house my bearded dragon so not all is lost. I just had dreams of colony of large frontosa in there!!!!!

Please help
Dan

Attachments

• image-4044428988.jpg
    image-4044428988.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 148
  • image-3358209551.jpg
    image-3358209551.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 150
  • image-767757030.jpg
    image-767757030.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 157
  • image-1850519709.jpg
    image-1850519709.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 131
It's a beautiful size tank hopefully my pic show the damage ok, also the size and the bracing on the bottom, which is the same as on top, I tried to upload a pic but it failed.

Attachments

• image-274756318.jpg
    image-274756318.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 135
  • image-315846374.jpg
    image-315846374.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 143
  • image-4217687050.jpg
    image-4217687050.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 148
I would definitely test it. I'm not sure there is anyway to guess when if will break, if it does. I've read of people using industrial strength straps to add more strength, but I have never personally done this.

Honestly, I would just use it for the dragon. That's a lot of water and if it does break, you have to thinly about more than hit the tank to fix.

Thanks for the advice.
One Of the problems I have with testing is, for starters it takes 4 strong people to move it. (so massive pain )The second is even if I fill successfully not sure I can trust it long term. So unless someone can tell me a sure fired way of a guaranteed fix. Just gonna use it for the dragon!!!

Just nice to have someone tell me I'm doing the right thing. It looks so nice I just want to fill it, but would like it do much if it flooded my fish room!!!! Lol

On the other hand you could be "that guy" that wakes up in the morning only to find 350 L of water on the floor and post it on youtube.

Id look into getting it repaired with resin to reinforce it.

The other possibility is to replace a pane of glass.

How to repair preformed moulded ponds

They talk about repairing chips with epoxy resin. I dont advocate any epoxy repairs but it might be enough to keep your tank safe.

Tempered glass when chipped will create weak spots, like a car windscreen, and fixing will only be a short term result.
I personally wouldn't risk it.

Its not worth the risk if its possibly going to damage expensive flooring or cause water damage to the home 700l is a large ammount of water.

i personally wouldn't risk it they look deep like some ones said already chips risk the stability and 700litre of water is lot to swim in in the morning

Thanks again for the advice, my reckless , impatient side says FILL IT!!!! My reasonable side says NO!!!! It's such a beautiful tank and would look so lovely with. Water and of course fish!!! But I guess it will look nice with the beaded dragon in :( unhappy face! Lol

Already looking out for a six foot tank second hand on eBay, gumtree and aquarist classified. If not I can get one custom built for £200.

Will keep you posted on whatever new tank I get!!

fill it out doors leave it a month see what hapens other option cut some braces and put then around the bottom edge viola

Is it the bottom pane? I've heard of people just putting another piece of glass in the bottom and siliconing it in over the broken one. I probably wouldn't risk it but that's just me.

Yes all the damage is on the bottom pane, can get replacement pane for about £100 but that leaves me to repair it, which altho I am more than confident I can do the job and am very experienced with silicon, it's still a heavy and scary prospect.

My fish room is inside my house instead of in a shed or garage, I must be mad I know, but I like being in there and don't feel I should have to leave my house to do so! Lol
Any way if the tank goes would make a nice mess. Was thinking of putting a drain in the centre of the floor just for good measure. Like what you get in a wet room.

it doesn't even look structural. It's cosmetic. It's not even near the silicone from what i can see. I would fill that thing with water and if it holds.....fish.

Ok I've now got a replacement tank for £80 (cheaper than the glass to replace) should be picking up on sat. So good news. The tank with the chips, I'm gonna break it down and re-use the glass. Maybe make a smaller tank or something . Maybe rebuild using the glass from the new tank depending on the actual size of the new one. So I have options at least! Lol

If any one wants to have a go at repairing the glass or is brave enough to fill/ use the tank you are welcome to have it. But would have to pick up ASAP in Norwich in the uk.

good on ya i wouldnt have trusted that. Break it down take about an ich off the edges and rebuild. Still be a huge tank :) i just got myself 133 litre for £25 could have had it for £20 without light im happy

i have not had this problem before but i would test it out side and if any water leacks at all. get it repaired and then test it again.

Ok today I dismantled the questionable tank, and although it was a lot harder to do than I had expected. I'm glad I didn't bother with this tank!!!!!.

Firstly I found some damage to the bottom bracing under the sand that was left in. which I assume could have been a disaster . It was a large chip which was sharp, and could have damaged any fish put in it, but I guess under stress could have broken!!!!

Secondly when cutting away the silicon there was small traces of water under it, which I assume mean it was maybe resealed incorrectly. Massive flood avoided as far as I'm concerned

But on a good note I pick up the replacement tank tomorrow so good cycle and in good to go!!!! Whoop whoop

Also I have some 12mm glass panels to have a play around with. Might make a fry tank I think!

Thanks all for their advice in the matter. Will post pics of the new setup once it's stocked.

Ok quick update.
Went and got the new tank and spent all day working on the final set up. I was gonna cycle the tank and then add the frontosa. Then I twigged all I had to do was fill up with the water from both tanks my existing tanks. I also used two mature filter

Any way it's all set up with fish , settling in . Will take some pis tommorrow when the light goes on. Personally i think it looks awesome,but would appreciate your views opinions ,advice and comments.

Back
Top Bottom