Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-13-2007, 02:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

use a hangon filter for overflow???

I have been considering getting an overflow and sump for my 29g fowlr tank. I have a whisper hang on filter that I was told I really don't need if I get a protein skimmer and set up the sump/refugium. So I was wondering if anyone has ever tried making an overflow with the hang on filter. Any Thoughts?

Old 07-13-2007, 03:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

If it's hanging on, it's going to be higher than the rim of the tank. How is that going to work if it's not closed off? Maybe someone else knows, but I don't think it'd work.

theotheragentm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 05:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to artoledo Send a message via MSN to artoledo Send a message via Yahoo to artoledo
I agree with agentm. Overflows work to prevent water from flowing over the rim of the tank. Overflows are placed in the tank not above. So the answer would be no. It will not work.

-----Armando-----
artoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 05:43 PM   #4

Well I was thinking of using the built in pump in the filter to draw the water and balance it with an adjustable flow pump for the return
Old 07-13-2007, 06:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to artoledo Send a message via MSN to artoledo Send a message via Yahoo to artoledo
It still wouldnt prevent an overflow.

-----Armando-----
Old 07-13-2007, 08:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Using two pumps will eventually result in an overflow unless both tanks are oversized to handle the volume of the combined tanks, which would be a waste. Even with identical pumps, clogging will slow one down, resulting in an overflow in one of the tanks.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:16 PM   #7

So then the best solution is to have an over flow that relies on gravity and a pump to bring the water back to the tank?
Old 07-13-2007, 10:28 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to ezy33
Yes, just make sure that the pump won't pump more than the overflow. If required use a valve on the output of the pump to lower the GPH.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:10 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

[quote="ezy33"]
Quote:
Yes, just make sure that the pump won't pump more than the overflow. If required use a valve on the output of the pump to lower the GPH.
Just be careful not to burn out the pump with the valve.

-----Armando-----
Old 07-19-2007, 01:43 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

I HAVE made an overflow with an old HOB filter (AC 70?) .... but that requires cutting the tank!

I cut off a 2"x8" piece off the top of my back pane of glass. This allows me to inset the the HOB into the back of the tank so it is lower than the water line (siliconed for water tightness). My return pump takes water from the sump into the tank, which overflows into the HOB, and is piped back down to the sump (by gravity only - no pump needed).

This overflow works like a conventional hang-on-back overflow, but with no need of siphons (and no risk of flood from siphon failure).

I use 1.5" pipe to connect the HOB to the sump, which allows me to build a compact Durso standpipe inside the HOB for noise control. It is small enough to not intrude into the space where the media normally sits, so I can use the existing media basket to hold a sponge prefilter.

My current setup handles 700 gph without problems. Looking at the "thickness" of the water flowing over the lip, I would guess that I can go to 1000 to 1500 before a flood.

This is my original post & pic: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...032&highlight=

Tags
filter, flow, overflow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com