Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-14-2004, 03:19 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to Thaiboxer
I'm making good progress on it now... hopefully will have new pictures up tomorrow. I've got the plywood top on it, and most of the bottom shelving done. If I were to do it again, I'd skip a lot of the interior shelf work, it's not worth the effort...

More later!

Old 01-14-2004, 05:32 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to NASCAR_Dave Send a message via Yahoo to NASCAR_Dave
Great job!

The stand looks great Thaiboxer! Looks like we're paralleling efforts to build a new stand. I overdid the skeleton as well, I used 4x4 posts with a lot of 2x4 bracing, but I don't think it is going to fail (knock on wood). Keep the pictures coming on the finished product!

Old 01-15-2004, 12:47 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Progress...

I was finally able to make some progress last night! I finished my structure, and added the shelving to the bottom (inside) of the stand. With that complete, I put a coat of Flood deck sealant/stain on it - if it can stand up to Minnesota winter on my deck, it's good enough for my stand! I attached some pictures below.

If you want to see complete progress to date, there's a gallery on my website at:
www.screwynoodle.com/gallery

I plan to start skinning it with 1/2" oak ply tonight. I'll add pics as I make progress on that, too!
Old 01-19-2004, 11:47 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

progress

Hi all -

I got the skinning done this weekend, and hopefully will be able to do some trim tonight. I've also got a buddy coming over to help with my glass, so it should be totally clean of mineral deposits after tonight.

Goal for the week is to get the new silicone on, and the trim done. Hopefully I'll have some luck with doors as well! 2 weeks to water? I hope!
Old 01-19-2004, 12:59 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to yaksplat Send a message via MSN to yaksplat Send a message via Yahoo to yaksplat
Looking good. I'm trying to find a type of finish to use on my hood that is completely non-toxic and waterproof. With the amount of moisture that will accumulate in that area, any plywood could be warped and peeling in under a year.

Jim
Old 01-19-2004, 03:24 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hey Yak, let me know what you go with. I'm planning to build a hood for this system once it's all set up. I'm not in a rush on the hood, but I can't wait to finish the stand and get the tank running and loaded up with fish!
Old 01-23-2004, 11:58 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

The trim is cut... and I'm sanding, sanding, sanding... I really want a nice finish on this thing! Planning to mount the trim tomorrow afternoon, if all goes well I'll post pics on Sunday or Monday.

I re-sealed the entire tank with new silicone last night, and I'm going to write up an article/sticky with the process. A 125 has an awful lot of seam area! That wasn't fun...

:P
Old 01-23-2004, 12:40 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to yaksplat Send a message via MSN to yaksplat Send a message via Yahoo to yaksplat
Well, I went with the 100% pure tung oil. To thin it out some i'm using a citrus solvent, which is also non-toxic.

Tung oil is waterproof and it's actually edible, since it comes from the Tung Nut Tree.

I'll be doing it this weekend and I'll post the results when finished.

Jim
Old 01-27-2004, 03:06 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

More progress

Over the last 5 days, I've got all the trim cut and mounted and added 3 coats of poly. I really like the finish! There's one pic below, and many more on my gallery at:

www.screwynoodle.com/gallery

I'm having the double doors made for me. As soon as I get them (probably 1-2 weeks) I'll finish them and screw them on. In the meantime, I'm going to buff and add one more coat of poly, then set up the tank!

I'll add more pics soon - once the tank is mounted and it looks all pretty in my living room
Old 01-27-2004, 04:06 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

looks good

Tags
125 gallon, 25 gallon, 5 gallon, diy, hood, stand, sump, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com