Used 125 Gallon... I'm DIY'ing Stand, Hood, and Sump!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
oh yeah! mine better come out that nice or i just might do a little thieving in the greater minneapolis area :wink:

:p I hope it works out for you! I've got 5 coats of poly on it now, it's looking super! Doors will be here mid next week!

I should have the tank up and running by Wednesday night!

Just out of curiousity, how much did you pay for doors? I made mine, well, I have one of them almost done. They're raised panel doors like you would see on kitchen cabinets. It's one of those things where if you have the right tools, they're easy to make. But if you don't, they're impossible.

Jim

my stand just needs 1/4 ply, and some stain, and 2cotas of poly and it's finished.. it's just been really cold in cleveland for the past 2 weeks, and the garage is un usable even with the heater running.

have you designed a sump yet thai ? after the stand, that's my next project.. i have drawn up a couple of designs.. but still not sure which one i will be going with. hopefully i will figure that out soon. but seriously thai and yak your stands look great, i can't wait to see them, all decked out with doors

bryan

That's looking great! Thanks for making a photo journal of it all. I'm going to be making some stands this summer. I'm thinking about asking for a circular saw for my birthday in February :)

Thai it looks awesome! But As it sits now I would seriously consider screwing the doors and finding a smaller custom tank to fit the hole, epoxy the top, and you have one helluva mini-bar! :D Just kiddin' keep it up. I'm following closely.

sati, i would ask for a table saw instead. cutting plywood with a circular saw sucks, and it can be dangereous to the un experienced saw user. HD sells a table saw for 99 bucks, [it's a riboki or something] it's really small and sort of lo powered but it's alot safer and easier to use than a circular saw or better yet, use a buddy's table saw if at all possible to cut all the wood.

Yak is an uber craftman, if you need any advice he's your guy. :D

bryan

Well, a circular saw would really cover almost anything that you'd need to do on the garf stand. But the problem with them is that they are only as accurate as the person that is using it. I've seen some really nasty wavy cuts done with a circular saw. But, that's what trim is for :eek:

Jim

only reason for the suggestion was for a safety concern. if you're doing a rip cut on plywood, the saw can kickback and find it's way to your thigh. an experienced circ. saw user knows where to stand and proper safetly precautions. using a table saw promotes nice straight cuts, granted the fence is setup right.

when i was cutting my wood for the garf stand, i screwed up 1 cut on one of the horizonal supports, and i have used a circular saw a good many times. [i eventually replaced that piece of wood] if i had more access to a table saw, i would have used it to cut everything. since it is alot easier, faster and safer to use. thinking about it now, i tend to agree with that a circular saw might be a better choice for a beginner, if anything it's more versitile.

sati, if you going with a circular saw, just make sure you learn the basic safety, cutting methods, and practice using it before you start cutting wood for the stand.

man, never in a million yrs would i have expected to see that. how long ago was that ? i guess it doesn't matter what saw your using, you just need to be very very careful. sorry jim. :cry:

bryan

Dear god, Jim, put a freaking warning on that... yuck.

Well I decided on a circular saw after asking my asinine friends here. lol

You'll see that I'm going to be doing this on my patio/lawn outside my aparment this summer so I don't know if a table saw is such a good idea unless I want it on display in the dining area, heh.

well it was just a suggestion sati, just make sure you follow all the safety instructions, and try to get a friend to help you, lastly you might want to build a jig to help get perfectly straight cuts, it's very easy to make mistakes with a circular saw and waste wood.

good luck with the stand and the patio projects. sorry if i was my harm then helpful.

bryan

Bryan, I really do appreciate your advice. And I really don't know much about any of this. If I had my way I'd have every type of saw there is, but I simply can't afford that :)

What do you mean, build a jig? I didn't know you could do that..

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom