Used 125 Gallon... I'm DIY'ing Stand, Hood, and Sump!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jigs are systems people build from scrape wood (most of the time) to make cutting wood, esp. long planks or plywood easier and faster. using a jig takes alot of the guess work out, and promotes straight accurate cuts.

this link will help, http://www.popularwoodworking.com/features/fea.asp?id=1104 if you pick up any woodworking, or cabinet making books you will see all sorts of jigs in use and sometimes plans to make the most useful ones. at the bare essentials a jig will have a saw guide, and a method of securing the wood.

that's pretty much a simple explaination of jigs, i am sure jim has more to say on the subject. if you want get your feet wet before buying any wood, visit your local library and look for books on woodworking and cabinetmaking you will find a bunch of advice, and probably a few plans on jig building.

Wow! Holy weekend response! I go to Vegas for a few days, and all of a sudden everybody is reading my posts!

Yaksplat - I paid $40 for two custom oak doors, 25" high and each about 14" wide. The cheapest I found retais was $40 each, but luckily I have a connection in the cabinet making industry. That saved me 50%. Had that guy not come through, I would've bought a router and made my own. You're right on the tools... and I don't have that many great tools. Yet. I'm getting there.

Jprox - I haven't designed the sump yet. I'm in a debate now... I've got space to work with in the stand, but may just buy another filter. I've got a Magnum 350 and an Emperor 400 now, which is good for the size of my fish today. I could get a Fluval 404 or another Magnum... it'd cost $30 more than a sump, but save me a load of time.

Sati - Get a miter box instead of a circular saw. It's $100, and you'll be very greatful I think... it can't make the long cuts, but most of what you'll do will be 2x4 and trim. Borrow or use a friend's table saw for your skins... circular saws are messy. (I wrote this before I read everyone elses comments.)

reefnewb - Thanks for the idea! A bar with an aquarium in it... why haven't I thought of that? another project to start...

Thanks everyone for your comments! I'll be getting the doors this week, so I should have completely finished pics with the tank on it by the weekend. I'll probably do a write up on my web site at some point... and add comments on what I've found NOT to do as well. :lol:

I leak-tested the tank last night on top of the new stand in my basement.

Good News: The stand is super-sturdy, no issues at all. The new silicone seal is also perfect - this thing is like a rock!

Bad News: While the tank isn't leaking at all, the sink drain is! I had water all over my floor from my sink, but none from my tank. How crazy is that! My aquarium is sturdier than my house! I fixed the sink, cursing all the while...

Tonight I drain it, tomorrow move it upstairs and fill it halfway. Saturday I think will be the great transfer from the 55 to the 125... unless I get antsy and do it all tomorrow night.

thai, i can hardly wait to see this monster come to life but are you planning on adding the fish too, tomarrow night or saturday or are you just going to add all the plants, filters and rocks ?

The Plan

I'm planning the monster move, but a lot will depend on how much time things take. Here's the plan:

1. Move the new tank and stand upstairs, dump in the extra substrate I bought and perhaps lanscape a corner of the tank.

2. Fill it about 1/3 with water, dechlorinate and heat. (I can bail at this point if it's not going to get done tonight. If I continue, there's no aborting after this point.)

3. Move most of the 55 gallon population to my 15 gallon. I'm planning to leave the oscar and the dempsey in the 55. They're tough and they don't like to be moved.

4. Move rocks, gravel, decor and some water from the 55 to the 125. As the 55 clears out and the 125 fills I'm going to verify temperature in the 125, then move the oscar and dempsey over. They'll hide while I finish.

5. Move the filtration from the 55 to the 125 immediately after or during step #4.

6. Finish moving rock, etc from the 55 to the 125 until the 55 is empty. 55 is empty at this point.

7. Check the temp, in the 125. Move decorations so they're how I want them. Slowly top it off and maintain temp. If all is well, move fish from the 15 into the big tank.

8. Pray the stress doesn't kill anything. I'm very nervous about this.

Whew! That's a lot of work!

thai that's a good plan, i just have 1 last question. how many fish are going in the 15? the demsy and oscar should take the move pretty well, i wouldn't be to worried about them.

my exp on tank switching is pretty limited, i have done only 1 big tank switch going from a 30 to 55 gal, i just moved all the decor, and 1/2 the filters to the 55, and then let the 55 run for 48hrs then moved the fish over. i didn't lose a single fish in the transfer and everything went pretty smoothly.

Hmm... right now the 55 (overstocked, I know...) has:

1 Pleco, around 4" long
1 Oscar, 7"
1 Jack Dempsey, 2-3"
1 Black Convict, 1.5"
1 Red Tailed Shark, 3"
1 Jewel Cichlid, 1.5"
1 Pink Kisser Gourami, 2"

additionally, there is a 1" Oscar cycling the 15 gallon. He gets along with the big Oscar too, and will go in the big tank when the move is done.

Everyone should be in the 15 for < 2 hours. What do you think?

well for starters your 55 is understocked, i use the 1gal = 1 inch of fish rule, for freshwater.. and you have about 23inches of fish (on the larger end) so about 23gallons of water is needed.

anyways.. the 15 would be slightly understocked if you left out the oscar and dempsey. (which you planned on doing anyway) with out them you would have about 13inches of fish needing 13gallons of water. so i believe the fish can stand to be the 15for a few hours. you just might not want to leave them in there for longer than 8hrs, since you are still cycling the tank. the extra amount of ammon. will really over tax the system. all in all the plans sounds great, and it has my gold seal of approval.. (for what it worth) :lol:

and just wait till that plecto gets bigger ( 8inches - 1ft).. he will look badass in a 125 gal tank.

side question : what were you thinking of doing with the old 55 ?

I figured that the 55 isn't too full right now, but left to grow for a while those fish would overload the system. I personally wouldn't put more than just a pair of oscars in a 55, not full grown anyways. I'm pretty sure they're all going to grow pretty darn fast once they get in the big tank!

They shouldn't have to be in the 15 gallon for more than 2-3 hours... I'm going to work quickly, and I have 4 (count 'em, FOUR!) 300 watt heaters! Overkill I know, I keep getting them for free!

The 55 is sold already, along with my spare Magnum 330 and one of said 300 watt heaters. I have too many tanks already... (not really, but I don't want anyone to realize how addicted to fish I am).

I'll post when it's done - starting at about 7:30 pm CST. Thanks for the advice!

well if there wasn't an oscar in the 55, it would be fine. once they get settled into the bigger tank, they will grow like weeds, i am sure. If you feed the plecto sinking algea wafers, and shrimp wafers (if you can find them) he will grow 5inches in 4-5months, least that's what i have experienced.

how are you getting heaters for free ? still can't wait to see this come together, good luck!

The move is complete! The new tank is BIG... :lol: :lol:

All is well - pics to come, perhaps tomorrow.

The heaters - I've gotten heaters thrown in with a few tanks I've bought from friends, etc., so I've only bought one.

Now on to lighting... that'll be in another thread. I'm going to do a complete write up of my building project too, as soon as I have some time.

Pics soon, I promise! Probably before Monday.

thaiboxes, great post! and nice looking stand. i just have one question what wood did you use for the build ? what woods be a good choice for this application?

thank you all!

lol i am as well.. and i tried bugging him after he finished setting up the tank.. but never saw a pic.

thai, are you too good for us now? hehe

Back
Top Bottom