Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-29-2004, 09:54 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to yaksplat Send a message via MSN to yaksplat Send a message via Yahoo to yaksplat
Hey, I'll make ya a minibar if you come pick it up

Old 01-29-2004, 10:16 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to JProx Send a message via AIM to JProx
sati, i would ask for a table saw instead. cutting plywood with a circular saw sucks, and it can be dangereous to the un experienced saw user. HD sells a table saw for 99 bucks, [it's a riboki or something] it's really small and sort of lo powered but it's alot safer and easier to use than a circular saw or better yet, use a buddy's table saw if at all possible to cut all the wood.

Yak is an uber craftman, if you need any advice he's your guy.

bryan

Old 01-30-2004, 08:38 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to yaksplat Send a message via MSN to yaksplat Send a message via Yahoo to yaksplat
Well, a circular saw would really cover almost anything that you'd need to do on the garf stand. But the problem with them is that they are only as accurate as the person that is using it. I've seen some really nasty wavy cuts done with a circular saw. But, that's what trim is for

Jim
Old 01-30-2004, 12:38 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak

only reason for the suggestion was for a safety concern. if you're doing a rip cut on plywood, the saw can kickback and find it's way to your thigh. an experienced circ. saw user knows where to stand and proper safetly precautions. using a table saw promotes nice straight cuts, granted the fence is setup right.

when i was cutting my wood for the garf stand, i screwed up 1 cut on one of the horizonal supports, and i have used a circular saw a good many times. [i eventually replaced that piece of wood] if i had more access to a table saw, i would have used it to cut everything. since it is alot easier, faster and safer to use. thinking about it now, i tend to agree with that a circular saw might be a better choice for a beginner, if anything it's more versitile.

sati, if you going with a circular saw, just make sure you learn the basic safety, cutting methods, and practice using it before you start cutting wood for the stand.
Old 01-30-2004, 04:14 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak

well, if you want to see what a table saw can do, take a look at this:

it's a big pic, and yeah, it's me

http://www.eng.buffalo.edu/~vrana

Jim
Old 01-30-2004, 11:00 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Mr Burns
gnarly...
Old 01-31-2004, 12:44 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Freak

man, never in a million yrs would i have expected to see that. how long ago was that ? i guess it doesn't matter what saw your using, you just need to be very very careful. sorry jim.

bryan
Old 01-31-2004, 07:19 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Dear god, Jim, put a freaking warning on that... yuck.

Well I decided on a circular saw after asking my asinine friends here. lol

You'll see that I'm going to be doing this on my patio/lawn outside my aparment this summer so I don't know if a table saw is such a good idea unless I want it on display in the dining area, heh.

I love the fishes cause they're so delicious.
Sati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 08:04 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Freak

well it was just a suggestion sati, just make sure you follow all the safety instructions, and try to get a friend to help you, lastly you might want to build a jig to help get perfectly straight cuts, it's very easy to make mistakes with a circular saw and waste wood.

good luck with the stand and the patio projects. sorry if i was my harm then helpful.

bryan
Old 01-31-2004, 08:56 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bryan, I really do appreciate your advice. And I really don't know much about any of this. If I had my way I'd have every type of saw there is, but I simply can't afford that

What do you mean, build a jig? I didn't know you could do that..

Thanks!

I love the fishes cause they're so delicious.
Sati is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
125 gallon, 25 gallon, 5 gallon, diy, hood, stand, sump, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com