Used tank, missing frames?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tacoeater

Aquarium Advice Activist
They have this tank for cheap, but does it look like its missing frames and center support? I haven't seen it in person, just these pics.

Attachments

• image-2533646230.jpg
    image-2533646230.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 125
  • image-1200289221.jpg
    image-1200289221.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 122
  • image-3006154992.jpg
    image-3006154992.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 103
It's tough to tell, but is that glass or just (dirty) acrylic? I don't see any caulking around the seams, and I don't know if a glass tank of that size would stay together with no framing.

Its glass. 49Lx16Wx32H 100g
Going to go take a look at it today if I have time.

That glass looks awfully thin for that height. I would use an online calculator that tells you thickness of glass needed for those measurements. Just looking at it, there's no way I'd trust it as is.

I agree, it does look thin. I have not had a chance to go see it yet. Here is another picture that he sent me that shows the thickness a little better. I have no problem making frames for it. I looked around already and it seems that no one makes frames for that size.

Attachments

• image-2385542194.jpg
    image-2385542194.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 82
I agree, it does look thin. I have not had a chance to go see it yet. Here is another picture that he sent me that shows the thickness a little better. I have no problem making frames for it. I looked around already and it seems that no one makes frames for that size.

Tell him to fill it with water before you buy it

I wouldn't risk it. Not when the $1 a gallon sale is going on for brand new tanks.

Too bad that sale is only up to 55 gallons. I have a 60g already, just wanted to step up to 100g with the same footprint to be able to us stand an canopy.

Curious..what was the verdict? Glass that thin with no framing probably couldn't support 100 gallons. Was it used as a dry display tank for something, or maybe a cover for a display (turn it upside down)?

After reading all the cons against it in both of my post I decided not to get it. But I'm keeping my eye on it, maybe they will eventually give it away for free. Lol
Never went to see it.

Back
Top Bottom