Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-22-2004, 02:04 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Absinthena Send a message via MSN to Absinthena Send a message via Yahoo to Absinthena
Using Aluminum foil as a reflector?

Hey. I am tired of buying standard flourescent housing units....
I have a 20L with currently no live plants or anything special. I intend to put, at most, two 24 in T-8 bulbs, using my ballast and crap. I make wood canopies.... and on my saltwater I spent 30 bucks to buy a "reflector" .. but I was wondering- could I live the inside of my wooden canopy with aluminum foil to reflect the 2 standard flourescents? I was trynig to look around on the board and I kept egtting bogged down with information I don't understand about big-time lighting. This is a baby application compared to everything else I had read.

So someone let me know... the foil wouldnt be touching anything metal, by the way.

Thanks!

Old 01-22-2004, 06:54 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I think you will get better results from painting the inside ot the canopy white, I've done this before and it works very well.

You might also consider tin roof flashing.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 07:03 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Another option is aluminum flashing from HD, pretty cheap and you can polish it.

www.panhandlereefers.com

Join N. Florida Regional Forum
GrndHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 07:17 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Absinthena Send a message via MSN to Absinthena Send a message via Yahoo to Absinthena
What is "flashing" exactly? Aside from the key word "roof", I don't know where I would go in the store for that!
Old 01-22-2004, 07:28 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

At my local Lowes, it was in the roof supply section. It comes in different size rolls.

www.panhandlereefers.com

Join N. Florida Regional Forum
GrndHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 08:31 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to yaksplat Send a message via MSN to yaksplat Send a message via Yahoo to yaksplat
flashing is the aluminum material that builders use around a chimney, parts of siding, sometimes between brick and roofing material. It has plenty of uses, mostly to wick water away from holes cut into the house.

Jim
Old 01-31-2004, 12:59 AM   #7

I'm not a very good diy guy, so I stuck with painting the inside of my canopy. The brightest white outdoor paint I could get, works very well for light-reflecting purposes. You need to use outdoor paint due to the very high humidity and occasional splashing you'll get inside the canopy.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:07 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hers a couple shots of the flashing. I also wrapped a 1x4x4 in flashing and installed 5 LED's for my moonlighting. I dont if that helps the moonlighting at at all but it looks uniformed in my setup

Tags
oil

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com