Using Aluminum foil as a reflector?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Absinthena

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey. I am tired of buying standard flourescent housing units....
I have a 20L with currently no live plants or anything special. I intend to put, at most, two 24 in T-8 bulbs, using my ballast and crap. I make wood canopies.... and on my saltwater I spent 30 bucks to buy a "reflector" .. but I was wondering- could I live the inside of my wooden canopy with aluminum foil to reflect the 2 standard flourescents? I was trynig to look around on the board and I kept egtting bogged down with information I don't understand about big-time lighting. This is a baby application compared to everything else I had read.

So someone let me know... the foil wouldnt be touching anything metal, by the way.

Thanks! :)

I think you will get better results from painting the inside ot the canopy white, I've done this before and it works very well.

You might also consider tin roof flashing.

What is "flashing" exactly? Aside from the key word "roof", I don't know where I would go in the store for that!

flashing is the aluminum material that builders use around a chimney, parts of siding, sometimes between brick and roofing material. It has plenty of uses, mostly to wick water away from holes cut into the house.

Jim

I'm not a very good diy guy, so I stuck with painting the inside of my canopy. The brightest white outdoor paint I could get, works very well for light-reflecting purposes. You need to use outdoor paint due to the very high humidity and occasional splashing you'll get inside the canopy.

Hers a couple shots of the flashing. I also wrapped a 1x4x4 in flashing and installed 5 LED's for my moonlighting. I dont if that helps the moonlighting at at all but it looks uniformed in my setup

Back
Top Bottom