Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-07-2011, 12:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ventilation ideas for canopy build?

I need to install some fans in my canopy. The question is what kind of fans? My canopy is three sided and open on the one narrow side, but it gets uncomfortably hot when halides are on so I'm leaving lid open for now.

Any help?

Old 09-07-2011, 03:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

You could find 120v fans, and run a plug into your wall!

Or you could find 12v fans, use an old cell phone charger or something that uses 12v. Then use the plug end to plug into your wall, and pigtail the other side.

This is very easy to do. Since it is three sided I would put 1 fan blowing in, and 1 blowing out. That way your circulating the air. Stick them on opposite sides so they are at a steady flow. This will allow the air to be 'sucked' out while cooler air is being blown in. Very handy.

-- Edit --

When I say fans I mean like computer fans (12v) and they make them bigger and support higher voltage (120 I believe for your wall socket).

Old 09-07-2011, 03:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Send a message via AIM to mrbee2828 Send a message via Yahoo to mrbee2828
I'm going to be getting on my canopy build in a few weeks. I bought a 120v fan at radio shack about he size of a PC case fan I was going to wire to a switch and plug into the wall. It was horribly loud so if you get one you can avoid the one there
Old 09-07-2011, 04:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

You might take a look at these:
Aquarium Cooling Fans: Zoo Med Aqua Cool Aquarium Cooling Fan AA-13

It clips to the side of the tank and you can aim the airflow. I'm unsure as to how that would work with your canopy though. Can't hurt to look!

Here's a 4" fan from Marine Depot that looks to be 115V AC. It's pretty cheap as well. (Less than $7) I bet you'd have to wire it up though, which I'm not sure how to do.

Hamilton 4 Inch Fan
Old 09-07-2011, 04:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Send a message via AIM to mrbee2828 Send a message via Yahoo to mrbee2828
Yeah that's like the one from Radio Shack. It just has 2 wires and can plug right into the wall. You'd wire it up to a normal switch in a box and you can get everything at HD or Lowe's for a few bucks. If you get it let me know how loud it is.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:03 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbee2828 View Post
Yeah that's like the one from Radio Shack. It just has 2 wires and can plug right into the wall. You'd wire it up to a normal switch in a box and you can get everything at HD or Lowe's for a few bucks. If you get it let me know how loud it is.
If I were to buy a regular PC fan, how would I wire that to the wall? Just buy a power cord and cut the wires and splice the two leads together?

Curious if I would need some form of voltage regulator or something.

I'm ok with splicing wires, and doing wiring but don't know much about "do this to make that work to electrical outlet"
Old 09-07-2011, 05:58 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I did it the cheap way, spent $7 at wal-mart and bought a clip on fan. I just cliped it onto the side of my canopy and aimed it into the back side and it keeps it nice and cool under there.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:59 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_murray View Post
I did it the cheap way, spent $7 at wal-mart and bought a clip on fan. I just cliped it onto the side of my canopy and aimed it into the back side and it keeps it nice and cool under there.
Could you post a pic of that setup?

That worked ok with halides under there? I opened the lid the other day and it was surprisingly hot. Uncomfortably so. With the lid open everything is fine.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:58 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Here's the pics you asked for. It was a really simple fix. No headache involved. Simple as take it out of box clip on the side and plug it up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-533093473.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	50695   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2007778003.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	50696  

Old 09-07-2011, 09:09 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by e_murray View Post
Here's the pics you asked for. It was a really simple fix. No headache involved. Simple as take it out of box clip on the side and plug it up.
I gotcha; I don't think that particular solution would work for my canopy though

Here is my canopy build thread:

New canopy build

Thank you very much for sharing the pictures though!

Tags
build, canopy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com