Ventilation ideas for canopy build?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ozorowsky

Aquarium Advice Freak
I need to install some fans in my canopy. The question is what kind of fans? My canopy is three sided and open on the one narrow side, but it gets uncomfortably hot when halides are on so I'm leaving lid open for now.

Any help?

You could find 120v fans, and run a plug into your wall! :)

Or you could find 12v fans, use an old cell phone charger or something that uses 12v. Then use the plug end to plug into your wall, and pigtail the other side.

This is very easy to do. Since it is three sided I would put 1 fan blowing in, and 1 blowing out. That way your circulating the air. Stick them on opposite sides so they are at a steady flow. This will allow the air to be 'sucked' out while cooler air is being blown in. Very handy.

-- Edit --

When I say fans I mean like computer fans (12v) and they make them bigger and support higher voltage (120 I believe for your wall socket).

Last edited:
I'm going to be getting on my canopy build in a few weeks. I bought a 120v fan at radio shack about he size of a PC case fan I was going to wire to a switch and plug into the wall. It was horribly loud so if you get one you can avoid the one there :)

You might take a look at these:
Aquarium Cooling Fans: Zoo Med Aqua Cool Aquarium Cooling Fan AA-13

It clips to the side of the tank and you can aim the airflow. I'm unsure as to how that would work with your canopy though. Can't hurt to look!

Here's a 4" fan from Marine Depot that looks to be 115V AC. It's pretty cheap as well. (Less than $7) I bet you'd have to wire it up though, which I'm not sure how to do.

Hamilton 4 Inch Fan

Last edited:
Yeah that's like the one from Radio Shack. It just has 2 wires and can plug right into the wall. You'd wire it up to a normal switch in a box and you can get everything at HD or Lowe's for a few bucks. If you get it let me know how loud it is.

Yeah that's like the one from Radio Shack. It just has 2 wires and can plug right into the wall. You'd wire it up to a normal switch in a box and you can get everything at HD or Lowe's for a few bucks. If you get it let me know how loud it is.

If I were to buy a regular PC fan, how would I wire that to the wall? Just buy a power cord and cut the wires and splice the two leads together?

Curious if I would need some form of voltage regulator or something.

I'm ok with splicing wires, and doing wiring but don't know much about "do this to make that work to electrical outlet"

I did it the cheap way, spent $7 at wal-mart and bought a clip on fan. I just cliped it onto the side of my canopy and aimed it into the back side and it keeps it nice and cool under there.

I did it the cheap way, spent $7 at wal-mart and bought a clip on fan. I just cliped it onto the side of my canopy and aimed it into the back side and it keeps it nice and cool under there.

Could you post a pic of that setup?

That worked ok with halides under there? I opened the lid the other day and it was surprisingly hot. Uncomfortably so. With the lid open everything is fine.

Here's the pics you asked for. It was a really simple fix. No headache involved. Simple as take it out of box clip on the side and plug it up.

Attachments

• image-533093473.jpg
    image-533093473.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 169
  • image-2007778003.jpg
    image-2007778003.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 169
Your canopy looks very similar to mine. Is it open on the back side right?
Hope you find something that works for ya!

Your canopy looks very similar to mine. Is it open on the back side right?
Hope you find something that works for ya!

It is open on one of the short sides. THe tank is 6 ft long 2 ft wide; one of the 2 ft sides is open. Both of the 6 ft sides and the top is all enclosed; Thats why I'm looking for a simple solution where I can put 4 fans in the top; like 2 intake in teh center blowing cool air in and 2 exhaust at the ends blowing cool air out.

Ah ha!

Sounds like that would work. I would put the 4 fans on the other short side so they would push the heat out the other short open side.

Mine feels like a dang heater is on where the air is blowing out.

Ah ha!

Sounds like that would work. I would put the 4 fans on the other short side so they would push the heat out the other short open side.

Mine feels like a dang heater is on where the air is blowing out.

If you look at my pics; see its like a coffin? I was thinking spacing them out along the top back part where the lid sits on, and have them on the same timer as my halides, because thats really the only time it gets unbearably hot in there.

Like I said earlier. If you use a 12v fan from a PC just splice it to a 12v phone charger or any wall plug that uses 12v so it don't over juice the fan.

Good god those fans are expensive.... Loud too I'll bet...

If it were me I'd just get cheap 120mm PC fans....

For example 4 of these: Computer PC Case 4 Pin Cool Cooler Cooling Fan 120mm | eBay

Plus one of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-110-240V...=Laptop_Adapters_Chargers&hash=item3f0c5d44b2

Makes an easy cooling solution for a lot cheaper than that previous fan.

Like KreativJustin said it'd be easy enough to wire them up to an old phone charger or any other 12V converter...

EDIT:

Or you could just cut vents in the top panel like you mentioned in your other thread... If your lights are kicking out that much heat then cutting vents in the top will allow the hot air to rise naturally and exit the hood.

Cool air will be drawn in the open side, you should get a nice passive flow of cooling air through the hood just by cutting the vent holes...

At any rate if you are gonna rig up fans I'd definitely have the air intake in the side and exhaust on the top. No point fighting against hot air's natural tendency to rise...

Good god those fans are expensive.... Loud too I'll bet...

If it were me I'd just get cheap 120mm PC fans....

For example 4 of these: Computer PC Case 4 Pin Cool Cooler Cooling Fan 120mm | eBay

Plus one of these: AC 110-240V Converter Adapter DC 12V 2A Power Supply US | eBay

Makes an easy cooling solution for a lot cheaper than that previous fan.

Like KreativJustin said it'd be easy enough to wire them up to an old phone charger or any other 12V converter...

EDIT:

Or you could just cut vents in the top panel like you mentioned in your other thread... If your lights are kicking out that much heat then cutting vents in the top will allow the hot air to rise naturally and exit the hood.

Cool air will be drawn in the open side, you should get a nice passive flow of cooling air through the hood just by cutting the vent holes...

At any rate if you are gonna rig up fans I'd definitely have the air intake in the side and exhaust on the top. No point fighting against hot air's natural tendency to rise...

Thank you VERY much for the suggestions! :) Fans are ordered.

hey all one more question here. . .

Do you know the name of a device I can wire between the wall outlet and the fans to regulate speed per temperature?

Would this work?

Digital R Thermometer Meter C/F Two External -31-257F | eBay

That looks like it's only a digital thermometer with no fan control features...

There are temperature sensitive fan controllers available, this one for example just plugs strait into the fan (you could clip off the female connector and just use the red and black wires, yellow is just a "sense" wire used to measure the RPM of the fan).

Alternatively you could splash a little more cash and get a device designed for a 5.25" expansion bay like this (DVD drive sized slot), which has temp sensors, LCD display, and most importantly custom settings for temperature. I'd be hesitant with this device though as once again there's not a lot said about the operation of it, ideally you'd be able to get hold of it and have a play with it and see if it suits your needs.

Does it need to be automatic? You could get a device like this which has manual control dials for you to adjust the speed as you see fit. Comes with 4 external temp probes (you could put two of these in with your lights, two in the exhaust stream) so you can monitor the temps and adjust as you see fit.

This solution can most likely be a "set and forget" solution. PC fan controllers are usually designed to deal with the variable heat load produced as your use of the PC changes. Your lights will likely come on in the morning, go off in the evening, and stay exactly the same in between those two events. As long as the fans are running I don't see that you'd need automatic speed adjusting. If you have a timer set for your lights, I'd just stick the fans on the same timer so they come on and turn off with the lights.

If it were me, I'd try the fans at full speed first and see if the noise bothered me at all. They'll be running pretty much unimpeded (air impedance and turbulence is pretty much the primary cause of annoying fan noise) in that large hood, if they do bother you then I'd look at reducing the speed. You may find that running them at half speed still provides ample cooling power.

HTH :)

Back
Top Bottom