Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-21-2012, 01:09 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Very L O N G air tube

I'm interested in building a whiskey barrel pond that would include an air stone to power a filter. But the position of the barrel is going to be far from the house, and the air pump is only rated for indoors.

I figure I can build a long air tube out of mostly 1/2 PVC pipe. That way, I won't have large friction losses over the long distance I would have with an extra long air tube. But I'm not sure what would be the best way to make the transitions from air tubing to PVC and back to air tubing at the barrel.

Any suggestions?

Old 02-21-2012, 01:57 AM   #2
come get me tang police!

The problem is going to be the air pump size. If you get a large enough pump to build up enough pressure, then sure it'd work, I did this to my tubs outside last summer. I ran 3/4" pvc from my garage all the way to my backyard and then tapped into it, they sell the fittings at the online aquarium supply stores and also the local hardware store. This is the kind I use, I also have some with a lever on them to control air flow. Just be sure to use schedule 40 pvc so that it's easy to tap into and stays secure.

Mine ran just fine, but I also have a commercial style Alita AL-60 linear air pump that is capable of running 5-6 dozen tanks conservatively.

Although it might be easier for you just to buy a solar powered pond pump.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:37 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetajockey View Post

Duh!!! The female threaded PVC fitting, and the local Lowe's has a whole section of various brass fittings.

Do you happen to know the tubing size of air hose? (Or I guess I just take a sample with me and compare)
Old 02-21-2012, 02:43 AM   #4
come get me tang police!

I believe it's 3/16", at least based on this page.

New Dolphin Air Pumps

Tags
air, tube

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com