Very L O N G air tube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HooKooDooKu

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm interested in building a whiskey barrel pond that would include an air stone to power a filter. But the position of the barrel is going to be far from the house, and the air pump is only rated for indoors.

I figure I can build a long air tube out of mostly 1/2 PVC pipe. That way, I won't have large friction losses over the long distance I would have with an extra long air tube. But I'm not sure what would be the best way to make the transitions from air tubing to PVC and back to air tubing at the barrel.

Any suggestions?

The problem is going to be the air pump size. If you get a large enough pump to build up enough pressure, then sure it'd work, I did this to my tubs outside last summer. I ran 3/4" pvc from my garage all the way to my backyard and then tapped into it, they sell the fittings at the online aquarium supply stores and also the local hardware store. This is the kind I use, I also have some with a lever on them to control air flow. Just be sure to use schedule 40 pvc so that it's easy to tap into and stays secure.

P125HBL-6-8.jpg

Mine ran just fine, but I also have a commercial style Alita AL-60 linear air pump that is capable of running 5-6 dozen tanks conservatively.

Although it might be easier for you just to buy a solar powered pond pump.

Back
Top Bottom