Vho question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

michealprater

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have noticed that vho actinic bulbs are cheaper than NO actinic bulbs. Why is this? What is the cheapest ballast I could get to fire up 2 48" vho bulbs? I have read a little about over driving NO. Would a ballast to do that save me enough to cover the difference between VHO and NO bulbs? Would a cheap NO ballast fire some of the cheaper VHO bulbs even though it would not put out the proper intensity? The reason I am asking, is because I am looking for the cheapest way to compliment the 6500K Iwasaki Mh bulbs I will be installing with some purple light. I really like a tank with a purple look. I will have the intensity I need with my MH. I just want to sell my pc setup because once I get the MH and actinic I wont need the pc. Sorry about all the questions. But believe it or not, all I have ever used has been pc, and I learning MH, but when it comes to VHO I know nothing. The only thing I have ever did with NO is put a bulb in a strip light and turn it on. Any help from you lighting gurus is appreciated.

Where have you found VHOs cheaper? I have always seen them as close to the same $ or higher... In doing research, In your case.

I just want to sell my pc setup because once I get the MH and actinic I wont need the pc.

I think you will do better and cheaper going with 2 55 or 96 watt PC Actinics. They will be just as bright. I really don't think you will need the VHOs. IMO

The setup I currently have now is 2 400 watt metal halides and 4 x 96 watts of pc. The metal halides provide about 8 watts per gallon. So basically with them I have plenty of light. I just want to get lots of purple light for my personal preference in the way the tank looks. I dont really like the look of PC purple light compared to VHO and NO purple light. I can get VHO and NO bulbs for 20 bucks a pop. So if I went with a 4 bulb setup I could get the bulbs for around 80 bucks. So what is the cheapest ballast or ballasts I can get to fire up 4-48" bulbs VHO or NO? To afford this I will have to sell my pc setup. But it is worth it, because in the long run I am going to get the look I want. I am selling my pc setup for 250 if you know anyone interested, or I would trade it for a NO or VHO setup that fits my needs. Remember, this is all for the look of the tank, not the watts, I have my major lighting needs covered in my MH setup.

michealprater said:
would 2 of these work?

http://www.bulbs.com/products/product_detail.asp?page=ballasts&inventory=9394

Another option is corallife makes plug n play ballast 2 bulb kits for 40 bucks a pop. Just put in the bulbs and go.
They look to be just plain NO ballasts. You will need a VHO designed ballast to get the extra intensity out of the VHO bulbs.

Have you looked at ebay for referbished icecap ballasts? They will light any style of florecent bulb and are argitably the best florecent ballast on the market.

BTW, You two are killing me with these movies. They are so funny.

I have a few (used but good condition) NO flourescent ballasts for 2 40W (4') bulbs. You can have these for the price of shipping. I keep a couple around for spares. Don't know what shipping would be from CO to IL but if it's cheap enough, there ya go.

MP, are you talking about the 7100K Blues like the 50/50 for PC or true Actinic PC or Dark blue as they call it? Two totally different purples or blues...You may wnat to check that out and save some $ unless $ isn't an object, ICECap is going to be your best bet...For versitality anyway.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=194

Another board I frequent, tons of planted tank stuff, has the above thread regarding overdriving NO florescents. It's a big thread, and I didn't hear about this before buying my VHO stup from hellolights.com. Therfore I didn't read it, butthere may be some useful info there for you.

Mark, let me know you zip code and I will figure up the shipping. Also give me the approximate size of the box it would be in (length, width, and hieght) and also give me the approximate wieght. Alls I can say is, Wow, I would really appreciate that.

Fishfreek, I'm sorry if I was not clear enough. I dropped the VHO idea and I am going to go with NO, because it is simply for looks.

PS I would sell my 4 x 96 watt pc hamilton 60" hood, 2 6700K day white bulbs and 2- 7100K blue bulbs for 275 and Ill pick up the shipping or 250 and buyer pays shipping. email if interested.

Well, thanks to mark I now have ballasts for my project. Thanks Mark (y) !!
NOw I was wondering what is the best place to get water proof end caps and the starters I will need. Keep in mind when it comes to wiring lights up I am a complete newb. Any suggestions are appreciated.

what is the best place to get water proof end caps and the starters
You can get by nicely with regular ends from the hardware store. You don't need starters. Just wire the ballasts directly to the bulbs. The ballasts should have a simple schematic printed on them.

Back
Top Bottom