Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-24-2011, 01:04 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Vintage Metaframe Tank Repair

I have (2) 29 gallon Metaframe tanks that my grandfather had set-up in his house 50+ years ago and I have the stands that went with them too. I would like to repair them and use them. Both tanks are in great cosmetic shape but they have leaks on the bottom. I tried the hot water trick but it didn’t work, probably because the tar has completely dried out. Does anyone have a copy of the article “Remanufacturing Metal Frame Aquariums” in the FAMA February 2007 issue? I tried buying this magazine online a while ago but it was never delivered to me for one reason or another. Could anyone email me a copy of the article or explain to me how to repair them? Thank you

speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:37 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
You can repair the tank by sealing the interior of the seams with silicone sealer, as you would an all glass tank. I have done this with a few tanks over the years.

Join a fish club. Don't have one in your area? Start one.
BillD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
my grandfather had like 2 10 gallons and 1 20 gallon and a few others but eventually the glass always cracked. one day i plan on just getting all new glass and just start over and make them look new. basically what im trying to say is i didnt have luck with the orginal glass in these but if you want to reseal the leaks just scrape of the silicone with a razor blade and put new silicone on.
Homer8 is offline   Reply With Quote

frame, leak, metaframe, repair, stainless steel, tan, tank repair

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com