Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-03-2011, 06:00 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Wall Mounted Reef Tank

I'm planning to build a reef in a picture frame. The tank itself will be acrylic for light weight. I'm thinking 24 x 15 x 5 ish. That'd be about 7+ gal. For filtration I'm thinking a nano protein skimmer and an under-gravel system all hidden by the frame. Lava sand substrate would be light weight, and porous for water flow to the filter. It will be roughly about 70 lbs with water and equipment. A TV wall mount could be use to attach it to the wall. I'm still trying to come up with a light weight background that I could stick critters to. Taking all suggestions.

I should also mention I'm new to salt water. Fresh water with a similar design would be much lighter and cheaper.

IchthyChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
thatd be cool looking, idk anything technical but keep this thread updated, it would be cool to see how it works out!

Brought to you by Joey's brain.
Hakuna matata.
JOMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:53 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
You want to do an under gravel filter in it?
Badfishofbabylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 07:26 AM   #4
I have worked with multiple wall mounted tanks and they bare all a PITA. They are annoying at best to work with. There is no room for stockings you to do anything, etc. A better idea than product.
Fishguy2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:52 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
You really can't keep fish in a tank that's only 5" wide and trying to work on a tank with those dimensions will be very difficult.

I have seen it where a tank is raised on a platform in a closet and an opening is cut in the wall and framed to look like a picture. You can work on the tank behind the scenes in the closet, yet retain the hanging picture look.
“A man's errors are his portals of discovery.”
Guide to The Fishless Cycle Cycling With Fish
My DIY LED Light Fixture
Feel free to PM me directly with questions.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular
I was thinking under gravel filter to create the current I want. Not completely sold on it. This would be a nano set up so nothing that grows to big. Mostly populating the back wall with corals, a couple shrimp, maybe a small sea slug and a few fish that won't grow to more than one inch.

How hard is it to keep stuff from growing on the front glass? I'm a salt water newb but been doing fresh water for 20ish years.

I really just want to do something creative with a nano tank and this was my first idea. I appreciate all the feedback. If it's not feasible I'll have to devise a new plan.
IchthyChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:34 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
unless you take the wall down put up a 2x6 wall and set the tank in the wall with an hatch on the back side of the wall for feeding and stocking make sure its an interior wall its quite a project but i can be done
My biggest worry is that when I'm dead my wife will sell my aquarium gear for what I "SAID" I paid for it.
barterking85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:38 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
A few fish in a 7 gallon too many i would think maybe 1 but you would be better to order the aquarium chanel and frame in a flat screen hd tv

Karlos69 is offline   Reply With Quote

reef, reef tank, tan, wall

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com