want to build stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

m.bug

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
im going to get a new tank in the next few months. i havent decided on anything yet. it will be between 60 and 100 gallons freshwater.

i know that i want to build my own stand(or actually, get my dad to build a stand) to A: save money and B: make one that i really like.

so im looking around on line for plans that i can send my dad to get him thinking. i cant really find anything. can anyone help me out with websites or the name of a book or even just some advice if youve built your own stand.

thank you

Other than the link thats already been given my advise is to remember the weight the stand will need to support so its not under built. I always suggest budgeting about 15lbs per gal for overall weight that will need to be suported. Water is 8lbs per gal and then you have your substrate, decorations, tank weight, etc so it really ads up.

I was thinking wood.

Im lucky to have a dad with an extensive woodworking history and career in architecture. When i brought this idea up with him, the first thing he mentioned was the weight and choosing a location that could support it.
Thanks for the link. I will email it to him. I will be sure to post a picture whenever its done.

luckily i have a dad in the same situation as you lol he made me my 20 gallon stand and i couldnt have been happier with it. i have some pics of it. i didnt uses 2x2 or 2x4 for the frame i just made a couple of supports on the inside and incorporated then into the drawer to make more room. one big thing to consider is the type of wood u make it out of because it will look really wierd if it doesnt match your other furniture. i made mine out of a maple plywood and put a nice stain on it. looks are as important as function

Back
Top Bottom