want to build sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

charlieweaver21

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I one day I decided to start a saltwater tank and then I though of just getting rid off freshwater tank. Then decided agaist it but had to make a stand to hold both tanks since my living room is not to big. There 75 gallons so I build a sand with one tank at the bottem with only the front visible and then a tank on top with all sides visible. Now I am changing my mind and want to just do salt water tank. So can I turn this bottem 75gallon in to a sump? If so I dont want to drill either tank? I've never done this so need lots of help. Mainly on like what pump do I need? What size piping should I use fore the drain and returns?

Sorry for got pics in first post.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130124_005624.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130124_005624.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 118
  • ForumRunner_20130124_005636.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130124_005636.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 130
you could, maybe on the large side for the show tank, but you could, turn into a sump, refugium. have room to put a skimmer in there also, you don't need to drill holes . just make or buy a overflow setup so the water will gravity feed to sump.. you will need to buy a pump that can pump up to tank about six feet of head pressure,

Ok well I made a diy overflow with pvc, and bought the acrylic for making the sump part. Now how should I do this like the first chamber I figure ill but a protien skimmer next some live rock. Then do a bubble trap then the pump. Is that all I would need to do. I did a 1 in overflow. So now my question is what pump would u recommend for this size over flow?

on my fist part of the sump, where tank water enters i have a chamber where i keep my flosss cabon, and bio balls, not every one has that but its been working great for me, then my refugium, where my live rock chaeto and other algeas grow, skimmer, bubble trap than pump, i had to do alot of research on a pump, my sump is in the cellar below my tank, have about 10 feet of head pressure, to have to pump up, can't right now remember, size, rule of thumb is want tank to be able to pump through sump two to threetimes an hour. pumps usually say what they can pump on them per hour, per head pressure,not sure what you would need,you must have about four or five feet from your sump to the top of your show tank

I would definitely drill the back pane of the top tank. Siphon overflows can fail. Gravity fed drains will never fail. Check out glass holes.com. They sell everything to drill your tank in simple kits. It's very easy. Once you do it, you'll laugh at how easy it was.
I would Put the skimmer first in the sump, in the intake area. You want pods to make it back to the display from the refugium. You want as little obstacles for them to overcome as possible.
I would also not use acrylic for partitions. These have a tendency to bow and pull away from the silicone. Go to a glass shop and have them make you partitions. It won't be very expensive, and you'll be happy with the finished product.

alright i spent some money today and ive made my sump. I got a deal on a nice Coralife 125G super protien skimmer and i bought a pump with 480GBh at 5 feet. but i ran in to a big problem. my diy overflow i made with 1in pipe does not drain fast enough. Made a mess, good thing is i notice right away and got the power off pretty quick. lol dont wann do that again. So tomorrow when the home depot opens up im gonna grab some 2 1/2in maybe 3in. figure cant overflow if i over do it. once phone is working ill post a pic. So im really new to this still and not even sure what i should put in the sump. right now i have 3 like sections.

1st section
Intake drain
protien skimmer
2nd section
Live rock
Heater
3rd section
returm pump

so whats next?

yeah have to go with smaller pump or bigger pipe, you won't loose siphon if your overflow was built right

NOTHING is safer than a gravity fed overflow! LOL! C'mon people, please have some experience before you give advice!

NOTHING is safer than a gravity fed overflow! LOL! C'mon people, please have some experience before you give advice!

I see where your coming from but not everyone is comfortable with drilling through glass. And I'm not real sure what you meant when you said I don't have experience.... I happened to setup and plumb aquariums professionally for a few years. I think I know a thing or two. But again, I have to agree with you. I'm just saying don't drill your tank if your not comfortable doing it.

The people that aren't comfortable drilling their tanks are the people who have never done it. Once you drill one tank and see how easy it is, your fear will be over.

Drilling is best and its not hard. My local reef club has any number of members who are willing to drill a tank for free. See if you have a local group member that could help. But it's really not a big deal at all.

So if I did drill would I have to empty tank out? Second if I drill in back would I be able to go high enough to have water level at least to bottom of black trim?

I've never drilled a tank up right. I always laid it down. The weight of the drill basically drills the hole. It would be hard for me to gauge that pressure with it up right. Also you will need some cure time on your plumbing. Make sure you put a towel under your drill site to catch the glass when it falls through.

What about tempered glass?i have a couple tanks that I'd like to actually drill but how do i know which panes are tempered. If any?

Back
Top Bottom