wanting to build a huge tank aprox 3100 gal need info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

strokinbyeu

Aquarium Advice Freak
im kicking around the idea of building a 12ft x 5ft x 7ft tank in my basment iv got a really good start to planning it but was wondering if any body had any input as to how thick the glass should be. the face of the glass will be around 5ft tall and 6ft long and the the distance from glass to the back is 5 ft the bottom 2ft of the tank will be concret to help take the strain and maby reduce the thickness of the glass . any real info would be great if you know ur stuff and ned more info just ask

yea i think we all want to know wats going in this tank..... wow thats a big tank good grief how much money are you planning on putting into this system i really hope your rich.......and if this project kicks off i think i can speak for everyone here on aquariumadvice.com we all want pics of the entire process!!!!!

Reminds me of the old Star Trek movie when Scottie was trying to figure out the glass thickness for the whale.

Sorry, couldn't help that. :) :)

Sorry i can't help with figuring that out. if you havent seen this thread yet it will probably help with some things. at 5ft by 6ft that's gonna be some really thick glass. don't they usually use acrylic at those larger sizes?

If I recall correctly, Scottie was going to use transparent aluminum to keep the humpback whale in. :D

I would say around 1.5" to 2" thick. What are you gonna put in this tank? I can tell you this you better provide pictures.

I need to watch the star trek movies again.

Forgot about that movie, used to love it! Still laugh at the keyboard as being 'quaint'!

thanks evreone for ur input im gona check out the threads that were sugested and see what i can draw from them i am wanting to build a tank big enuff to support 10 or so vary large catfish of diffrent breeds mostly iv always wanted a red tail catfish. maby put some other exotics in there also i was thinking lexan but i dont want it to get a lot of scraches in it. my girlfreinds glass tank she has her bull head in has mulitipul scraches in it from him and hes only 10 in long. and besides who wouldnt want a big *** fish tank

i forgot to say that the tank will be concret on 3 sides and the first 2 foot at the bottom in front with a concret header and 12in veritcal support in the center

So when is this all going down? When are you planning construction?

dont know when construction will begin still in the thinking stages. but i have concluded that it wont be in the basment mostly bc of the humidity that and i only have 7ft celings in the basment so i will mostlikly hold off till the garage gets built and put it in there make a room just for fish in there and use it like a living room. that and iv been trying to find out how thick of glass i will want to use so i can price it out but i fuigur if i get the plan thought thru then i can at least poor the concrete then set up the filters and pumps(still in the thinking stages) then do the glass last but i want a thickness bc i am gona recese the glass in to the concrete another fish i thought about putting in ther is a placo iv always wanted a huge placo

Back
Top Bottom