Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-01-2014, 03:29 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
wanting to connect a planted to to my community tank

first off why my display tank is not planted. first off i have an 17 inch pleco second its a huge tank and came with gravel and such when i bought it. i was too eager to put fish on and once i did there was no going back and adding the proper substrate.

id like to go with a planted sump but im scared of flood issues. i want to go planted cause im probably overstocked as seen here forgot what all i have in my 200 gallon tank and think the plants and extra water volume will allow me to keep all my fish in the display tank.

I came up with an idea of setting up my empty 30 gallon close by my display tank and at the same top height. Im wanting to run some vinyl tubing between the tanks to keep the tanks water levels even throuh a vacuum. i like to plant the 30 heavily and have a pump/powerhead pump water out of the 30 and into my display tank thus make the 30 planted pretty much a additional filter for my 200 gallon display tank.

i would much appreciate some feedback as to anything i may be able to do to improve on this idea or is this just totally absurd. Im currently trying to free up some space to set it up.

200 gallon community tank
1972ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Yes, if you get some acrylic tubing of the appropriate size small fish might even be able to go from one to the other, like a bridge. If you just want water flow make sure they are the same top height and you are good to go. Look it up in Youtube as aquarium bridge if you are interested. Got some photos of where you would set it up?

10 gallon planted RCS thread: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ferrerid=36544

Youtube Channel: http://youtu.be/sj0bVYblrZI
andresdeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Yeah those water bridges are really cool. However, I think there is a risk there just as much as a hob overflow only because both require a siphon. I think the siphon for a water bridge will take longer to break but I think the risk is still there.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
t4runnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
i currently have a 55 gallon with an upside down 10 on it the vacuum is easy to maintain as long as the wife is not doing the water changes.

I would like to only have water and possibly fry flow to the planted tank. i was thinkig of having a reversed day night cycle of the main tank. I also keep rizome plants in the main tank. was thinking have a reverse day night cycle would produce the co2 for the other tanks needs when they need it
200 gallon community tank
1972ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:00 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
Are you looking to create a refugium ? Take a look on YouTube for some ideas, great plans out there.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
SNorlin is offline   Reply With Quote

community, community tank, plant, planted, tan, tank, unit

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com