Water cooler tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darkman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey, I have a tank in the process of being made. It's 5 gallon and in the shape of a water cooler. I am looking for advice with some of the parts. First I was looking for a possible external canister filter so that I can run the hoses under the bottle and in the stand out of view. So far I have been having trouble finding a filter of this type and size. If anyone knows of where to find them or has any suggestions it would be nice to get some input. I am also going to need to customize some lights on this thing. I could use some info on dos and don'ts for this. I plan on putting the lights on the bottom. Any suggestions?

If the top is closed, you should make a small wet dry instead of a canister, as you'll need lots of gas exchange outside the tank.

if its one of those lil coolers with that little button you push to get water out, you can probally take out the lock thing or something and run your canister off of that>? or is it made out of glass and shaped like one?

Actually the tank is simply one of the bottles that will be on a stand that I will make look like a normal water cooler. I have no idea where to get the actual cooler setup. And the top is open. But, I'm kinda new at this, so I'm kinda curious what you mean by wet dry.

Is this "tank" going to be made out of an inverted 5 gallon water bottle like you would get from the grocery store?
wet dry is a type of filter. try to search for the term trickle filter or wet/dry filter on your perfered search engine.
I think if its a inverted water bottle that you could fashion a bulkhead out of the spout that would be on the bottom. allowing you plumb your "tank" to a filter of some sort. HTH

You are right, it is an inverted bottle with the cap coming out of the bottom. I had hoped that this would make it easy to conceal the filtration system. Do you know of any good online stores to find a trickle filter system for a 5 gallon tank? Like I said I am really new at this. I really just had a sudden urge to get a fish and make a tank a few weeks ago. That's what this is all about. Also, anyone know good places to buy lucky bamboo?

walmart is selling lucky bamboo.
take a look around at wet dry filters most are DIY (MUCH cheaper.. prefab ones are usually for 75 gallon tanks min. and start at $125. ouch 8O )

Back
Top Bottom