water mixing station

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jjamontan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So today I am going to build my saltwater mixing and storage station. Right now I have a trash can connected to my rodi system. It has been a pain to drag the can around the house. Like we all know the easier we make out water changes the more likely we are to do the right?. Well I think the $300 I am spending on this will be well worth it. I got two 35 gallon water storage barrels one will be for DI water the other to mix saltwater. Here is what they look like.

ForumRunner_20140319_080944.jpg
I will update thru the day as I get it going.

Where I have my RODI unit. This is in my laundry room in one of the cabinets. I placed a Y fitting at the back of the washer so that I don't ever need to move it around

ForumRunner_20140319_105715.jpg

Are you co-locating those new containers with the tank, or running (big) pumps from them to the tank, etc?

With my 20 right now, it's not that bad, but I'm going to be upgrading and dread hauling the water...

The fresh will be in the laundry room and the salt will be in a closet on wheels. I wanted to have the salt wheel right under the fresh but not enough room under the cabinet

Oooh, that's a good idea, the wheeled cart/cabinet. I'll have to file that away.

Just be careful of the wheels..you're going to have over 300lbs on them. I'm going to steal your idea of the wheeled cabinet and use 6 pneumatic wheels (instead of the solid ones) since they're easier on the floor with all the weight.

I got one of them TV stands that they use is schools that I took apart. Let me get a photo of how it will sit.

It will roll right up to the tank with a submersible pump hooked up to my ATO.

ForumRunner_20140319_124611.jpg

It will be stored in the closet under my stairway. I will be adding a plug in the closest so I can keep the water moving between water changes.

where'd you get the containers from? everything i've seen online is for "preppers" and are blue vertical drums, but the horizontal fit easier in my space.

I got them local from a place called Tank N Barrel. The are also on plastic depot and tank mart on line. May have the names mixed but shipping is costly

Yeah, shipping always clips you big time.

I'll have to see if someplace like Northern Tool or Tractor Supply carry similar ones locally for me. Hell, even Harbor Freight might have them (but they might burst at the seams ;) ).

I could have just got the wheels for the Rubbermaid can I was using but having lots of ro water on hand. As well as mixing two weeks of water changes will make life better. And I just think this will be cool

This is a great setup...very creative and good reuse of a tv cart.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So the next stage of my progress. I will be adding a plug to the place I will be mixingy salt. Wish me luck

I use two brute 32 gallon trash cans for my fresh/sw station. I just purchased the dollies that attach to the cans but have not put them on yet. I wonder if they will hold the weight? They seem like pretty well constructed casters. Has anybody else used these?

They will hold. I have 10 of them filled with saltwater that I get from 80 miles out into the Gulf of Mexico.

Back
Top Bottom