Water submersion switch to turn off filter pump if water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

helicopter

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a nanocube and if my filter pathway gets clogged or restricted for some reason I end up with a big puddle of a water. The pump in the back compartment will start pumping more water out than is going in and therefore cause the water level in the main tank to rise too high and slowly overflow. Twice I have come home after being gone for a day or two and found a pump spitting bubbly water and a big puddle on the floor. This has already damaged my stand.

What I want to do is to build or buy some sort of water level switch so that when the sensor is not submerged it will turn of power to a 120 volt socket.

Any ideas?

Which brand of nano cube do you use? How often are you cleaning your filters? Are you using stock filters? The water should go above most stock filters if blocked and not spill.

That's the cheapest auto top off I've seen yet :eek:

Any of those switches would do for what you are trying to accomplish.

I would just like to suggest that you consider letting the float switch control a relay and let a relay with a higher current rating control the pump. It looks like those float switches are only rated for .7 amps and you will be controlling a pump which is considered an inductive load. While the pump itself may not draw more than the .7 rating, the initial inrush current when starting and stopping will push theese contacts to and maybe past their limit. Add to that any heaters or other devices you may choose to run on this circuit.

If you choose to go this way and need help, there are plenty of people that will be more than happy to help guide you through the process.

I work with float switches like these at work, mostly for industrial applications SparKy697, you have it exactly right. If you try to push past the amp rating on the switch, you're going to melt the reed switches together. When you have a pump on type application, that is really bad news.

Ziggy953:
That looks good, I will have to take a closer look. Hopefully I could get something smaller and inconspicious because its going directly in the tank (the bank compartment) and not hidden in a refugium or something.

tecwzrd:
I have a JBJ nanocube 24 gallon. I clean the filter often, actually one time the problem was I had put a micron filter pad in there and forgot to take it out and it clogged pretty quickly because I had to as the second filter. The second time I was using the surface skimmer and in the middle compartment where you put the boifiltration, I think I had it packed a little tight and it restricted flow, not enough so that I would notice until I came back another day!

SparKy697/theotheragentm:
Yeah I know what you guys are saying about trying to switch on an iductive load. I am relatively competant with electronics and such but lately I am busy as hell, so this project might take some time. I guess I would have to use a little wall transforer to power power the relay as I would feel much safer with 12 volts going through my tank than 120. Also is there any considerings needed when selecting a relay for AC current. You wouldn't by any chance be able to recommend any good online sources for cheap electronics, possibility with a part number for the relay you guys use? :) Places like digikey charge a surcharge for shipping on low dollar orders.

Awesome tecwzrd, I think I am going to go with that. Time is money, and although I don't have much money, I have less time these days. I think I will consider one of those.

Back
Top Bottom