Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-06-2007, 11:58 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wattley on Discus

I saw an article from Jack Wattley in the Jan 08 issue of Tropical Fish Hobbyist. He was recommending 40-50% wc's daily for Discus.

I'm thinking about getting into Discus, but I couldn't imagine the feasibility of doing manual wcs like I do at that frequency and of that size.

So I thought, maybe I could automate it with a skimmer and auto topoff device, and pump. At $100+ for each of the 3 elements, that didn't seem realistic either.

So then I thought, why couldn't I install a toilet auto top off device like you get at Home Depot or Lowes? That would save on cost quite a lot. Then it's just the question of how to slowly release water into a sump and the toilet topoff would take care of the rest. To release the water, maybe it's as simple as a siphon hose with a ball valve set to just slowly drip. Anyone tried this? Any advice on how to succeed with it?

Old 12-06-2007, 12:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am not much help here, but you may try posting this in the diy project forum, or the general hardware/ equipment forum those guy may beable to help you more.

Good luck

Old 12-06-2007, 02:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was thinking that too as I was submitting it, but I don't think you're supposed to double post and I don't know how to move it.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to rkilling1
I know Discus need GREAT water quality, but daily PWC's? that seems a little over the top. I know quite a few people whom have Discus and do either biweekly or weekly PWC's with no ill effects.

IMO, I would keep them in a heavily planted tank inorder to keep the water quality pristine.

As far as your setup, I'm sure you could get it to work, just remember to ensure the water that is being added does not contain chlorine or chloramine.

You may also want to search through the DIY section, as I know I have seen some pretty nice auto-water change setups there.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks. It's well water. I'll check out the DIY section.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:53 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to rkilling1
After a quick search, here is one of them:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=89574

I also have concerns over the temp of the incoming water. From the way that you discribe it, it sounds as if it will come from your normal drinking water supply. Don't forget about temp swings within your aquarium. Adding COLD water will shock your fish during the PWC. Of course this all depends on how much water you are changing during the PWC.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

That post has some good ideas.

Yes, I am planning to use normal drinking supply water. Wattley says Ph isn't critical with juvenile discus. On the temperature score, I'm figuring the flow rate will be so slow for a continuous 24x7 schedule (50%/24h ~ 2%/h) that there will be no significant temperature swings.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:23 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

With Symphysodon aequifasciatus, consistency is more important than exact water parameters. A temperature range from 80-84F is acceptable a pH anywhere from 5.5-7.0, and softened water with a conductivity under 100. 10%+ daily water changes are also acceptable, to result in 100% change by weeks end, as long as your filtration is high, which it should be anyways; Cleanliness is very important. Most captive-born/raised discus also fair better in a wider range of water parameters than wild counterparts. Wild counterparts should also be expected to carry internal/external parasites so a thorough qt is advised before adding to any display and consideration for a UV sterilizer. Symphysodon discus require a slightly stricter parameter schedule.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:08 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
I'll move the thread to the diy section for you. I have discus and they are adults. Have had them since juvies. Heavily planted tank 2 wc's per week. All discus are doing fantastic.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 12:22 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thx!

Tags
discus

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com