Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-07-2004, 08:56 PM   #1

ways to either fix or replace the frame....

to start off, here is a pic of the problem

http://ozzfreak.no-ip.info/crack.jpg

I was wondering what is the best solution in getting this fixed. I have searched for years, literally, to find a replacement frame, to no luck. It is a 50 gallon tank, 36x18x18. the glass is like 7/16" thick. Would would be a good choice if I was to make it a snug fit? Or how about stainless still frame welded together? Any ideas on what others have tried would be appreciated. Thanks

Oz
Old 06-07-2004, 09:46 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oceanic makes a thick-glassed 58 gal tank with the same dimensions - just a bit higher. Maybe you can contact them about getting a top frame.

Another idea (not sure it would work, tho) is to wrap a piece of flat metal banding around the top and fasten it in place in the back. You know the metal strapping they use to secure cargo for transit? It's about 1/2 inch wide and you use a special tool to tighten, fasten, and cut it. http://www.uline.com/Class_09.asp You might be able to have this done for a fee at a UPS, FedEX, or Mailboxes Ect location.

Old 06-07-2004, 09:48 PM   #3

i know what you are talking about, because we use that stuff at where i work at, We use plastic and metal. Mostly the plastic banding though. I wonder if that would work.

Oz
Old 06-07-2004, 10:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to flipz
How did that happen?

-brent
Old 06-07-2004, 10:23 PM   #5

not sure, the tank was gave to my uncle, and he gave it to me after he had it. It sat in the Texas sun for 3 years that I am positive of. The guy that had it before him had it outside for who knows how long. I think it's sunrot. Not sure though.

Oz
Old 06-07-2004, 10:48 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

It looks like someone tried picking it up by grasping the top frame at the corner.
How are the seals? I would expect the sun to do more damage to the silicone seals than the plastic frame.
If you have to replace the top frame AND the seals.....well, maybe you could use it for your 4-foot python instead.
Old 06-07-2004, 10:51 PM   #7

Seals are in perfect condition. I am more than positive it will hold water no problem.

Oz
Old 06-07-2004, 11:06 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzfavors
Seals are in perfect condition. I am more than positive it will hold water no problem.
Excellent! Maybe some superglue on the crack and the steel banding will do the trick then. I don't see why it wouldnt - they use that stuff to hold big stacks of cement paving stones together. Plus, you have access to the necessary tools at work.

Hopefully some of the more engineering-focused folks here here will chime in.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:27 AM   #9

while we are waiting for the experts, hehe, what is the easiest way to get the top frame off the tank?

Oz
Old 06-13-2004, 11:06 AM   #10

no more ideas on taking off or fixing the frame?

Tags
frame

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com