Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-01-2012, 11:28 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2910071644.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	74302

The stand in question - the interior is constucted of 6 4x4 legs with 2x4 frames. The top is 3/4" oak plywood

Old 02-05-2012, 01:00 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Considering a 250 gallon tank weighs almost 600 pounds, not counting the weight of water, the "?" of weatherstripping shouldn't be such a concern as just be very sure the stand is dead-level. That much weight will crush any substance ie. weatherstripping, rendering it useless anyway. Just test the aquarium for watertightness and go from there. Unless you have built an extremely sturdy base that won't bow or bend, I would use solid wood rather than plywood but that's just me.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Redbird - The tank is supposed to arrive this week - and I've come to the same conclusion you have. As for using plywood; I "think" I'll be ok as under the plwood is a frame of 2 X 4's and 4 x 4's. In a sense the plywood isn't really holding any weight - it is just there to provide a flat plane for the tank. I guess I'll be the first to find out if I built it stong enough!
Old 02-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Not sure how your framework is set-up under the plywood, but provided you set it up correctly, you won't have any problem.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:44 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Smile weatherstripping issue

I work w/wood alot and the problem w/plywood is that it warps and separates easily if it gets damp, then will get moldy & rot under the aquarium. If you have solid wood framing, add a couple layers of deck sealer (waterproofing) on all surfaces under the aquarium that may get wet. "Green" wood will also crack slightly as it dries out and any moisture will alter the sturdiness unless you've treated it. It sounds like a pain, but a couple of coats only takes afew hours to dry enough to seal and not be sticky. The framing you describe should be sufficient to not have to install plywood, it'll just be a hassle. sorry I didn't see the photo of the stand till now, Unless that plywood is part of the unit, I would still just use the frame.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks all. The tank should be in Thursday - I ordered sand today. ' one step at a time!
I appreciate all the advice
Old 02-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hey unless ya just gotta have special colored or SUPER soft, fine stuff, ya can save some $, use "play"sand from the local DIY store. I bought two 60# bags @ $3 bucks. Playsand is sterile too. The Pleco & Cory cats love to scoot in it. Have fun!
Old 02-07-2012, 08:20 AM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

I used 3/4" plywood on my 75g stand. I stained it and did quite a few coats of polyurethane to seal it up. I did something similar years ago when I built my 30g long stand, but I used Rustoleum gloss black instead. Both stands still look good as new. Don't go cheap on this step, seal everything, even the inside of the stand and bottom of the plywood.

Tags
eat, frame, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com