Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-27-2012, 10:56 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Weather stripping or not under large tank frame?

Howdy All -

I am almost finished with a stand for a 210 Gallon Aqueon/All Glass tank. The tank will sit on a surface of oak plywood and the tank has a plastic rim on the bottom and top. I have read that I should place some weather stripping under the plastic tank frame and I've read that I shouldn't put weather stripping under the tank frame: Does anyone have any links or documantation from aquarium manufacturers on this subject? I've heard anecdotal information - but Im curious if anyone has info straight from an aquarium manufacturer.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Glasscages.com recommends 3/4" Styrofoam under their tanks. If you do not place it on styrofoam they will not uphold the warranty. I've heard of people cracking the bottom of their tanks by placing foam under it though. I think someone on here had that problem. I'd wait and see what some other people say.

http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=AqWarranty

I personally have never used anything under my tanks. I just make sure the stand is level and there are no gaps under the black trim before I fill it up. I've had 10, 20H, 30H, 30 long, and a 75g with nothing under them.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Did some digging to find the thread I was talking about:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ld-104073.html

The actual break in the tank happens here:
Ziggy953's 150 Build errrr....120 Build

Here's another thread with a lot of opinions:
insulation pad or not?
Old 01-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I like a sheet of 1/2 inch plywood. Comes in handy to hang things from nes,pipe,hose & what ever. I guess It's insulation. PS covering the glass but not on it, on the frame.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well, I ordered the tank today (210 Aqueon) and I decided to go with some adhesive back/roll weatherstripping under the frame. The LFS says that it "wasn't necessary, but sure won't hurt" and it's cheap anyway.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:38 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

As meegosh suggested, check your warrenty! Many manufactures will not warrenty the aquarium should something go wrong if you have placed such things under the tank.

"Listen to some of these guys talk, and it's like they were born from their momma's belly with a fishkeeping encyclopedia in one hand and an API kit in the other" (unrevealed).
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

I did email Aqueon and asked them but they haven't replied and I couldn't find any info on their website. I'd welcome it if anyone does have their warranty info though
Old 02-01-2012, 07:58 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I heard from Aqueaon and they basically said " we recommend that you use our stand and then you don't need any foam/weather stripping." So - no real advice from them other than it sounds like IF the stand is made properly; one doesn't need it, the weatherstripping.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:17 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

I don't know what is expected of weatherstripping under a tank other than sealing so no water can get beneath. Styro is placed under tanks to absorb any discrepencies in flatness on the stand top. This is more likely to be an issue if the tank stand is made of dimensional lumber such as 2 x 4 as opposed to plywood. Dimensional lumber is rarely perfectly straight and is subject to warping and twisting. This can cause torquing of the tank which can lead to failure.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:35 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

BillD- I think the idea of weather stripping and foam is pretty much for the same goal: to correct for issues in the stand being a true level and flat plane. My top is 3/4 oak plywood and I've put a level on it every which way and I know it's level --so, I am still going back-and-forth in my mind as to if I will or won't put anything under the frame. Again: I have heard both "you should" and "you shouldn't" -- I am beginning to suspect that IF one is confident that the stand is structurally strong, and IS truly level and flat: one probably should NOT but if one suspects imperfections in the stand: one should use styrofoam/weather stripping to correct variances.

Tags
eat, frame, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com