wee little cracked tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishtankfiend

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I recently aquired a tank from a friend who decided it was too much trouble to fix. I think its a 5g because it is approximatly half the size of my 10g. I was wondering how much trouble this would be to repair, and what do I need to repair it?

Attachments

• 100_1624.jpg
    100_1624.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 100_1631.jpg
    100_1631.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 81
I didnt think I would have to worry about too much water pressure due to it being such a little tank, the tank is 16.5 X 8.5 X 10.5. any help would be appreciated

It is 6.38g. That is at least 50lbs of pressure when full. I don't know how to repair it, but you do need to repair it.

I find small tanks all the time on my local craigslist, and they are very inexpensive. I would just look for another one.

ok so this could be the dumbest question ever asked, but could I just slicone the crap out of the crack, or would that be a terribly unwise thing to do. I kinda had my heart set on fixing this tank.

you could very easily get a piece of glass or plexi to fit inside the tank and silicon it in.

I saw a 3 gallon tank on CL today, and an 18X18X12. It's probably good I dont have money right now.

Have a glass shop cut another piece of glass for it. If you can't get that one out, take a razor knife and remove the silicone from around the perimeter on the bottom, lay the new piece of glass right on top of the old, silicone in place, and voila! It's on the bottom, you won't see it anyway. But I wouldn't just try to patch it... glass does flex, and ultimately a patch will fail. A piece of glass that size won't cost more than a few bucks.

while i was thinking on this today I had the same idea as Willsta2000, but i dont think the glass will fit past the lip on the top of the tank, is there a way to remove the plastic piece on top without tearing it up?

ive dismantled and done a few tanks now, nothing that small, mostly 55gals, and i will say, replacing the glass is not an easy job. bottom piece, probably the easiest, in terms of getting it apart, but it still a lot of work. having to break the silicone between the glass joins is time consuming and frankly, probably not worth the effort.
you could however use a new piece, plexi or glass, and yes, silicone it into the bottom of the tank.making sure to seal up around the edge good, so as not to allow water under it. you will need to cut and remove the existing silicone around the bottom edge though. not between the joins, just the bead, so the new sits flat.
that way, wont have to get the frame off too.
ive never done this method, but could see it working, in theory.

Thanks bobber, im glad to have an experienced tank redoer-guy give me advice. and im not epecting a miracle so if it fails, well then a broken tank is still broken,and im only out a few bucks.

well wouldnt call myself an expert, only been doing it a short while. but taken a few apart now and never do unless really really have to. such a small tank, a piece of 6mm glass in the bottom should work... just make sure fits snug and is siliconed well. removing the top frame is not too bad, but just needs care as can break easy if slightly older. usually need to run a razor blade up under the outside edge to cut the silicone and on the inside edge, but be careful not to cut the silicone holding the corners of the tank together. usually once you get started, the blade will run through easy.. i actually use a large scraper with sharpened edge, but razor blade works.
end piece for a 55gallon, cut, is about $11 from my local glass shop, so id expect that kind of price for a new piece.

The way i see it, all you can do is give it a shot and hey if it doesnt workout, your not into it an arm and leg. if you can fix it by all means id love to see some pics.

The glass will absolutely fit through the top lip. (The only shape that won't fit through a hole of slightly smaller size is a circle.) Realistically, you do want to get that other piece of glass out of there, but being it is a small tank, you also don't want to break the relatively flimsy plastic frame, or more glass. To get the new piece in there, stand the glass on end, holding opposite corners between thumb and forefinger and turn it diagonally, lower it in, straighten it out against one or the other of the long side glass panels, and then let the top rotate down into place.

IME take your tape measure with you when you pick up the glass. It's not easy to trim a slightly over sized piece of glass' if your not experienced in cutting it.

I have an old cracked aquarium that I've been wanting to fix for some time! What kind of silicone did you use? Can it be one from hardware stores?

Back
Top Bottom