Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-17-2011, 08:35 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think i have decided that i am going to brace it, now i am trying to figure out how I can do it without sticking a big pole/board down the bottom. Easy to work around but just an annoyance.

Old 03-19-2011, 02:56 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornadonick
I think i have decided that i am going to brace it, now i am trying to figure out how I can do it without sticking a big pole/board down the bottom. Easy to work around but just an annoyance.
When you say "work around", do you mean leg room?

Should be a straight forward build. Rectangular or right angle triangle (RAT will allow for leg room) framed from 2X4's and a piece of 1/2" plywood (cut to outside dimentions) screwed to the side. A rectangle would be easier, as you could just size it to just side in and use wood wedges to compress it (ie carpet, etc). A right angle triangle. Would need to be solidly bolted to a wall.

Remember, the brace only needs to be as wide as the tank (maybe a bit less) and I think most 55's are 15" front to back.

Old 03-19-2011, 03:20 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

I think i might have it figured out, but still not really certain I will be putting it up at all. the left side has 2 boards running down that the drawers sit in, that is the support for that end. WE have some scrap angle iron that i can run across the bottom of the desk that i would then just need to build legs for.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:27 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornadonick
I think i might have it figured out, but still not really certain I will be putting it up at all. the left side has 2 boards running down that the drawers sit in, that is the support for that end. WE have some scrap angle iron that i can run across the bottom of the desk that i would then just need to build legs for.
That might work, but just putting some angle under there won't support the front and back. You need to support both ends of the angle iron.

If it were me, I'd put some weights where the tank is going to be and test for a couple of weeks. Less mess to clean up if the desk fails .
Old 03-19-2011, 03:40 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

I I I
I-----I I
solid=angle iron
dotted=droors
I=supports

this isnt really to scale but you get the idea, the top of the desk would be essentially sitting on the angle iron, and there will be 2 sets of iron of course, the width of the tank.

AS i said, still just toying with the idea and hopefully going with it in the next couple months

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com