Weight of rocks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dragonmommy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been making my own rock structures to save money but I am wondering how I should place limits on the weight of the rocks? How much weight can a glass 55 gallon long handle?

I think the formula is 1lb per gallon. I don't have the exact science behind it but so long as the rock is spread out over the tank, you shouldn't have any problems. I've seen our SW colleagues use this method over and over again...since their tanks use much denser rock than we would, it makes sense to me.

i have 100 lbs of rock and 150 lbs of sand in my 55 gallon (standard dimensions) glass tank. i think you will have a hard time breaking the bottom glass of the tank with rocks that are simply resting on the glass... dropping them, thats another story.

if you are really concerned, remember that flat bottoms will spread the load, and you will not have any concentrated forces on a small area of glass. concentrated loads are the only thing that i can think of that would result in a failure of the bottom glass...

~mike

Back
Top Bottom