What are the dimensions of your tank stand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

austinsdad

Aquarium Advice Addict
Actually just interested in the height. I'm having my basement finished and will frame for an in wall 75 or 90g tank. What's the height from the floor to the stand top. I can't get to my 36 to measure it. Seems like I'm seeing 30 to 32" on my searching. Being 6' tall, I want to be able to reach the bottom of the tank.

If it were me, i would build it so that the top of the tank is about 1-2" below your arm pit. My 150g is that way and gets it up high enough so that it's easily seen, but low enough to reach in without a ladder. I'm 6'4 and my tank is a tall tank, so you might wanna build your stand just a bit higher than most... just my opinion of course.

different stands different heights.... i have seen stands as low as 2 feet and others as high as 4 feet. i think mfdrookie is right on how i would build mine...

I'm 6' tall too and when I made my stand I made it 34" high. I can just reach the bottom.

Am I the only short guy that has to break out the snorkel to gravel vac?

I made my stand 40" high because I wanted it to be more at eye level. I hate bending down to look at tanks. I have mine anchored to a stud in the wall (at the top of the stand) just to be safe.

40" high
40" wide
16" deep

The stand I have right now is around 2 1/2 feet and I can clean my 29 gallon just fine (ha ha, I know) but the one that I'm drawing plans for now is a 150 gallon built in wall system so I figured at 5'2" it really didn't matter how high I put it...I'd be swimmin' anyways :D

I feel a little intimidated by you all lol.. i'm only 5'8".. :( But i also only weigh like 145lbs.. ;D

Probly doesn't help much.. but i built my stand to be about 29" from the floor. I'm 5'8" like i said, and i can reach the bottom of my tank(which is 18 inches tall) without using a step ladder or a chair or a bucket, etc.. And from floor to ceiling it is 8 feet.

I did buy a 90g today and in the shop it was on a table 32" high. I took it as fate that it was there for me to look at and test drive/reach into. It was a choice between the 75 and the 90. The thing that got me was that the 75's overflow was 3 to 4" from the corner. Gosh i hated that wasted space. The 90's overflow was flush into the corner. Although a deeper tank, I'm likely not doing heavy reef at all.

Won't be setting up for months, and even more the boss lady might make me take it back after we frame it out and build the wall next week. Need the money for the contractor. Still, this is exciting.

Thanks for all the input. BTW, I'm 6' and can reach the bottom of a 90g tank I've found. And if it matters, I wear a 35/36 shirt.

Heck, if nothing else, this was a good thread for relative comparisons for tank depth, stand height, and personal height. :)

Back
Top Bottom