What did I learn today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mentallylost

Aquarium Advice Freak
What did I learn today?

Today I learned not to attempt to drill a 10 gallon tank yourself. I have read sooo many articles and threads on how to drill a glass tank. I was prepared. I had the special (recommended) dremel bits, lots of water for cooling, and hours upon hours of reading on the subject so I could get it right.

It started well enough. I measured and cut off the trim in back. I marked and stenciled all of the holes. And I began to drill. That's when it went sour. I wasn't even through the first hole when it shattered.

So now I need to acquire another 10 gallon tank to try again. I will get this external overflow thing down. It just might take a few tanks in the process.

Anybody out there who can shed a little light on what mighthave gone wrong? The tank has sat dry for a few years. Could that have had anything to do with it?

did the glass break up into tiny little pieces or was it like panes of glass.. it might have been tempered.. It should have broke like plate glass.. if it was tiny pieces then that was the problem..
If it was plate glass it was most likely bad luck.. sorry to hear about it though.. Ive read about guys busting 75 gallon tanks this way on other forums..ACK!! If it were me I would get a piece of glass and do it on it then put it into the 10 gallon.. unless the entire tank broke..

You can get a 10gallon tank for under $10 at PetCo, so I don't think it's worth the time and effort to get a new sheet of glass cut and installed, just to try again.

I agree, it sounds like it was tempered glass, and that requires some pretty specific tools for drilling.

I have been reading about drilling glass, as I am going to attempt it in the near future.

From everything I read, it is extremely important to go very slow, do not apply any pressure, just use the weight of the drill, use a low rpm and a good coolant (water, vinegar or radiator fluid).

Not many companies will go through the expense of using tempered glass for such a small tank... there's simply no need to add to the cost for such a tiny tank that doesn't require added strength. I'm a bit sceptical if it was an issue of tempered or not. (especially since most of the tempered pieces are on the bottom of large tanks, or sides of extremely tall tanks). I'd be willing to bet that it was just an issue of going too fast, and using too much pressure. If you are still not sure, call the tank company and ask if they installed tempered in their tanks. They'll have the final answer :wink:

You need to let the drill bit do all of the work... no need to put pressure or try to rush. I say either get yourself a new tank from a LFS for $10-12, or have a glass shop do the cut for you (which runs about $15 per hole). Good luck! :D

It was tempered glass. Broke up into 10,000 pieces (looked like it anyway). But I am going to try it again. I don't discourage that easily. I have this thing for doing things on my own so the glass shop is out of the question. PetSmart has them for $9.?? around here. Son what's another 10 bucks or so.

I think that my problem was speed really. I was on the lowest rpm. But I was moving up and down with it a little too fast. My fault. Now I have to do it again.

mentallylost said:
I think that my problem was speed really. I was on the lowest rpm. But I was moving up and down with it a little too fast. My fault. Now I have to do it again.

Um...no...you cannot drill tempered glass....that was your problem. :wink:

In most tanks if they have tempered glass its the bottom only.. I dont think Ive heard of a side that was tempered before. I would get a different brand tank..
The replacing the piece of glass Idea came from thinking your source of tanks might be all tempered. ie.. they cant be drilled..yuck!! :evil: :evil:

Is the cracked 10g pictured in your stand thread the tank you speak of here, lost? I think tempered glass shatters completely, so I think you're okay on that front. Are you going to practice on the other three sides? Just a guess, but did you use 7134 bit and plenty of water? My first hole took ~15 minutes working alone since I had to keep stopping to saturate the tip, fwiw. When I drilled glass for the second time (for a patch), the first hole only took a few minutes, because drilling down kept the water in place much better than drilling sideways ;)

tempered glass will shatter into many small pieces of glass that have edges that are not sharp (well not incredibly sharp). the pieces are more rounded and do not have the razor sharp edges that are typical of non-tempred glass breakage.

non-tempered glass will shatter into shards of glass that have very sharp edges and points. typically, windows are made out of non-tempered glass, so if you have ever seen a house window broken, you will recognize the shards of glass that result.

~mike

greenmagi - the complete tank is tempered glass... or was anyway. I like the idea of replacing the one pane of glass. But it's a little too late now. I have already practiced on all 4 sides and they all broke. but it's tempered, so what can I expect? Don't drill tempered glass. I don't know the original source or brand of the tank. I got them from my sister-in-law and she had them for who knows how long.

czcz - yes it is the same tank pictured in the other thread. Those pictures were taken prior to the original drilling attempt. Shattered into a billion pieces. All sides even. And to prove that I didn't learn a thing really, the other tank seen in the pics is a 5.5 gallon that was to be used as a sump for the 10 gallon was attempted on too. Same thing happened to that tank. But I am not done. I will find a tank with non-tempered glass to build an external overflow upon.

Both of those tanks have been around for a while. I wonder how old they really were and if it is/was common practice to construct tanks from tempered glass. Does anyone know? Or does anyone know how to tell by looking at a tank if it is tempered or not?

I read, it is extremely important to go very slow, do not apply any pressure, just use the weight of the drill, use a low rpm and a good coolant (water, vinegar or radiator fluid).

radiator fluid is the best.
try not to even use the weight of the drill, let the bit do the work..
as for rpm, if u can get a variable, sweet, have the bit only just crawling around,
like say 60 rpm if that. probably even less.
I to learnt the hard way :p
Slow and Steady wins the race.

Back
Top Bottom