Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-17-2005, 01:34 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
In most tanks if they have tempered glass its the bottom only.. I dont think Ive heard of a side that was tempered before. I would get a different brand tank..
The replacing the piece of glass Idea came from thinking your source of tanks might be all tempered. ie.. they cant be drilled..yuck!!

greenmaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 11:21 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus
Is the cracked 10g pictured in your stand thread the tank you speak of here, lost? I think tempered glass shatters completely, so I think you're okay on that front. Are you going to practice on the other three sides? Just a guess, but did you use 7134 bit and plenty of water? My first hole took ~15 minutes working alone since I had to keep stopping to saturate the tip, fwiw. When I drilled glass for the second time (for a patch), the first hole only took a few minutes, because drilling down kept the water in place much better than drilling sideways

"2- before attempting to plant, have a beer or a Bourbon. That will help to steady your hands…" -- elwaine

czcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 12:37 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
tempered glass will shatter into many small pieces of glass that have edges that are not sharp (well not incredibly sharp). the pieces are more rounded and do not have the razor sharp edges that are typical of non-tempred glass breakage.

non-tempered glass will shatter into shards of glass that have very sharp edges and points. typically, windows are made out of non-tempered glass, so if you have ever seen a house window broken, you will recognize the shards of glass that result.

55gal FOWLR,
DIY stand and Hood,
AquaC Remora,
Coralife Lunar Aqualight (4x65W),
60 LB Hirocks Base Rock, 40 LB LR 50/50 Keys/Gulf
150 LB Playsand (~3-4 in DSB)
2 x Blood Red Fire Shrimp, 2 x Cleaner Shrimp
2 x Black and White Percula Clown, 1 x Orange Spotted Blenny, 1 x Red Stripe High Fin Goby
mp3z24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 08:07 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak
greenmagi - the complete tank is tempered glass... or was anyway. I like the idea of replacing the one pane of glass. But it's a little too late now. I have already practiced on all 4 sides and they all broke. but it's tempered, so what can I expect? Don't drill tempered glass. I don't know the original source or brand of the tank. I got them from my sister-in-law and she had them for who knows how long.

czcz - yes it is the same tank pictured in the other thread. Those pictures were taken prior to the original drilling attempt. Shattered into a billion pieces. All sides even. And to prove that I didn't learn a thing really, the other tank seen in the pics is a 5.5 gallon that was to be used as a sump for the 10 gallon was attempted on too. Same thing happened to that tank. But I am not done. I will find a tank with non-tempered glass to build an external overflow upon.

Both of those tanks have been around for a while. I wonder how old they really were and if it is/was common practice to construct tanks from tempered glass. Does anyone know? Or does anyone know how to tell by looking at a tank if it is tempered or not?
mentallylost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 09:06 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
I read, it is extremely important to go very slow, do not apply any pressure, just use the weight of the drill, use a low rpm and a good coolant (water, vinegar or radiator fluid).
radiator fluid is the best.
try not to even use the weight of the drill, let the bit do the work..
as for rpm, if u can get a variable, sweet, have the bit only just crawling around,
like say 60 rpm if that. probably even less.
I to learnt the hard way :P
Slow and Steady wins the race.

Dimidiochromis compressiceps,
Astatotilapia latifasciata
Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos
Labidochromis caeruleus
Cynotilapia afra 'Cobue'
Pseudotropheus acei 'Msuli Point'
Aulunocara stuartgranti 'chipoka'
Labidochromis freibergi
Oreochromis mossambicus
Etroplus suratensis
DeFeKt is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com