Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-15-2005, 09:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

What did I learn today?

What did I learn today?

Today I learned not to attempt to drill a 10 gallon tank yourself. I have read sooo many articles and threads on how to drill a glass tank. I was prepared. I had the special (recommended) dremel bits, lots of water for cooling, and hours upon hours of reading on the subject so I could get it right.

It started well enough. I measured and cut off the trim in back. I marked and stenciled all of the holes. And I began to drill. That's when it went sour. I wasn't even through the first hole when it shattered.

So now I need to acquire another 10 gallon tank to try again. I will get this external overflow thing down. It just might take a few tanks in the process.

Anybody out there who can shed a little light on what mighthave gone wrong? The tank has sat dry for a few years. Could that have had anything to do with it?

Old 06-16-2005, 04:45 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
did the glass break up into tiny little pieces or was it like panes of glass.. it might have been tempered.. It should have broke like plate glass.. if it was tiny pieces then that was the problem..
If it was plate glass it was most likely bad luck.. sorry to hear about it though.. Ive read about guys busting 75 gallon tanks this way on other forums..ACK!! If it were me I would get a piece of glass and do it on it then put it into the 10 gallon.. unless the entire tank broke..

Old 06-16-2005, 08:17 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Some glass companies will drill for you, and in the long run it's probably cheaper.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:04 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can get a 10gallon tank for under $10 at PetCo, so I don't think it's worth the time and effort to get a new sheet of glass cut and installed, just to try again.

I agree, it sounds like it was tempered glass, and that requires some pretty specific tools for drilling.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:11 AM   #5
Kam
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to Kam
I have been reading about drilling glass, as I am going to attempt it in the near future.

From everything I read, it is extremely important to go very slow, do not apply any pressure, just use the weight of the drill, use a low rpm and a good coolant (water, vinegar or radiator fluid).
2 Green Chromis
1 Emerald Crab
3 Peppermint Shrimp
4 Scarlet Hermit Crabs
1 Blue Knuckle Hermit Crab
1 Large Turbo Snail
Hitchhickers: 3 Purple sea urchins, lots of rock crabs, pistol shrimp, brittle stars, snails, worms, etc.
and aiptasia, aiptasia, aiptasia (it was free $$)
Kam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 10:28 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Not many companies will go through the expense of using tempered glass for such a small tank... there's simply no need to add to the cost for such a tiny tank that doesn't require added strength. I'm a bit sceptical if it was an issue of tempered or not. (especially since most of the tempered pieces are on the bottom of large tanks, or sides of extremely tall tanks). I'd be willing to bet that it was just an issue of going too fast, and using too much pressure. If you are still not sure, call the tank company and ask if they installed tempered in their tanks. They'll have the final answer

You need to let the drill bit do all of the work... no need to put pressure or try to rush. I say either get yourself a new tank from a LFS for $10-12, or have a glass shop do the cut for you (which runs about $15 per hole). Good luck!
Old 06-16-2005, 10:43 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

It was tempered glass. Broke up into 10,000 pieces (looked like it anyway). But I am going to try it again. I don't discourage that easily. I have this thing for doing things on my own so the glass shop is out of the question. PetSmart has them for $9.?? around here. Son what's another 10 bucks or so.

I think that my problem was speed really. I was on the lowest rpm. But I was moving up and down with it a little too fast. My fault. Now I have to do it again.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:22 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Good luck!!

If I ever decide to go drilled... it'll be done in the factory before I get it.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:54 PM   #9
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mentallylost
I think that my problem was speed really. I was on the lowest rpm. But I was moving up and down with it a little too fast. My fault. Now I have to do it again.
Um...no...you cannot drill tempered glass....that was your problem.
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 07:04 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I see.

I'll have to find a non-tempered glass tank then.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com