Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-22-2004, 11:09 AM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

What do you think - my DIY stand plan

It seems that all the aquarium stand plans on the net has a full skirt at the base to hide a central support along the lenght of the stand. I am looking to build a shaker style stand, and the skirt will look too heavy. So I am thinking of doing something like the picture below.

I am planning a frame & panel construction, & since the panels are floating, the load will have to be carried by the frame alone. I am planning to use a double 1"x4" for the rails (top & bottom). The central support joining the top & bottom rails will be off centered (so I have room to move a sump in & out). To be cautious, the top rail should be able to carry the entire load (although the load will be shared by the bottom rail as well).

The tank is 70 gal, so I am looking at 600 or so lbs. I think I will be making this out of maple, and all joints will be motiss/tenon.

Does anyone know the load bearing capacity of maple? You think 2"x4" will be good (note this is true dimension - not the 1.5x3.5 of softwood lumber)? Or should I be worried about sagging in the middle without the center support going all the way to the floor?

Anyone built something similar?

jsoong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 12:09 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
I like the style, and I think I would be concerned about sagging in the middle. Mostly because this will then lead to uneven preasure on the bottom of the tank (thats always "bad") What you could do is a center brace support that goes to the bottom in the rear of the stand, then the front can be off center some and think between the 6 supports you should have a pretty steady support even though the front is off center.

Also, in terms of the weight you're expecting, 600 lbs is about right for just the water. The tank itself will also weigh upwards of 50+ depending on the tank. Will this be a FW or SW tank? either will have a fair amount of substrate, likely another 50-100 lbs. If this is SW and you add LR that's another 100 pounds... plus any equipment, filters, powerheads, lights etc etc etc... it adds up quick. Just keep it in mind.

Acronyms and Abbreviations
BillyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 06:15 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Yes, In the back I plan to have the center support go all the way to the floor. But I am a bit worry about the front - since the center brace only goes to the bottom rail so sagging is a possiblilty .. . maybe I can think of some way to hide a 3rd leg somehow in the middle ....
80 gal FW with 30 gal DIY wet/dry/sump.
9 fancy golds, 1 hillstream loaches, 1 rubber-lip pleco (C. thomasi), 3 SAEs, small school of white cloud minnows, planted.
jsoong is offline   Reply With Quote

diy, diy stand, stand, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com