Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 05-20-2013, 10:41 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Loddy Dod's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tucson, Arizona
Posts: 76
Send a message via Skype™ to Loddy Dod
I think okapizebra is correct as they are not schooling fish, but it is beneficial to keep multiple of them together.
__________________

__________________
Loddy Dod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:42 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
FishCr8zy's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,458
Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loddy Dod View Post
I think okapizebra is correct as they are not schooling fish, but it is beneficial to keep multiple of them together.
Maybe not but best kept in groups.
__________________

__________________
It wasnít until 1853 in London when aeration and filtration of water was understood, that people
were able to keep fish as indoor pets.

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:13 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
okapizebra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,033
They are not schooling fish. Platies are livebearers. While they do appreciate friends, they can be kept singularly with no issues.
__________________
okapizebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:49 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
FishCr8zy's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 2,458
Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
Quote:
Originally Posted by okapizebra View Post
They are not schooling fish. Platies are livebearers. While they do appreciate friends, they can be kept singularly with no issues.
Really? Huh.
Looks like I learned something new
__________________
It wasnít until 1853 in London when aeration and filtration of water was understood, that people
were able to keep fish as indoor pets.

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:03 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Spokesman101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: From texas yeeeeehawwww
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loddy Dod View Post
did you only buy one? This fish are best kept in groups.
No I got 2 , they are hanging with 3 rams in my 10 gallon
__________________
Party Animal!!!!
Spokesman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:03 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Spokesman101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: From texas yeeeeehawwww
Posts: 128
I may be dumb but I buy from there to save the fish
__________________
Party Animal!!!!
Spokesman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 04:04 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Spokesman101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: From texas yeeeeehawwww
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishCr8zy View Post

U have to have at least 3. They r schooling fish.
I only have 2 but they are fine he prefers to hang out with the rams actually ha
__________________
Party Animal!!!!
Spokesman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:13 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: U.S.
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokesman101 View Post
I just got it but walmart tanks are so stupid that they mix match name tags
Definitely a Platy! Can't tell for sure if it's male or female, pictures blurry around anal fin area. I have couple of those, they are great, hardy fish, and very sweet personalities. All 3 of mine were girls as they will make babies like crazy if you have both sexes. They are live bearers like Guppys (no eggs, mom gives birth to tiny baby Platies). One of mine eats like little pig. At first I was scared that she was sick, she would just balloon up from eating looking like her tummy is ready to burst. I discovered that frozen peas help keeping their tummies clean and will be exploring more veggie options to give them more variety. They all looooove their peas! My Platies are very sweet and peaceful in community tank with Mollies, one Betta male, mystery snail and few ghost shrimp, lots of live plants, caves, driftwood, everybody gets along great. Enjoy your Platy, they are truly great fish
__________________
Pearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:28 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: U.S.
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokesman101 View Post

I may be dumb but I buy from there to save the fish
I don't call that "dumb" in my books that's "kind" or "caring". I've done that with 5 dying Betta's in 1/2 cups of dirty water on shelves of petco, where little gals would down right refuse to change water bcs "water change day is on Tuesdays"! In all 4 case. That was 3-4 days away, those poor fish were destined to die horrible suffocating death. It is too bad people who do care are either money or space restricted to be able to provide good homes and save more animals out there.... The hardest thing for me is walking into those stores and not being able to get all those fish, dogs, cats out ... So far one I lost one of my rescue Bettas, the others (still have 4 rescues and 1 was a gift) are doing great and are so gorgeous to look at. I could swear they know me, always swim up to great me, don run away from vacuum when I clean up the tank floor. I just love them. Btw my Walmart has tanks in such bad shape that I would be scared to put any of those poor fish in community tank in fear of getting my whole tank sick with something. But if you have a QT tank then definitely do that! They know they've been saved and appreciate that making best pets for us.
__________________
Pearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:36 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Spokesman101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: From texas yeeeeehawwww
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearly View Post

I don't call that "dumb" in my books that's "kind" or "caring". I've done that with 5 dying Betta's in 1/2 cups of dirty water on shelves of petco, where little gals would down right refuse to change water bcs "water change day is on Tuesdays"! In all 4 case. That was 3-4 days away, those poor fish were destined to die horrible suffocating death. It is too bad people who do care are either money or space restricted to be able to provide good homes and save more animals out there.... The hardest thing for me is walking into those stores and not being able to get all those fish, dogs, cats out ... So far one I lost one of my rescue Bettas, the others (still have 4 rescues and 1 was a gift) are doing great and are so gorgeous to look at. I could swear they know me, always swim up to great me, don run away from vacuum when I clean up the tank floor. I just love them. Btw my Walmart has tanks in such bad shape that I would be scared to put any of those poor fish in community tank in fear of getting my whole tank sick with something. But if you have a QT tank then definitely do that! They know they've been saved and appreciate that making best pets for us.
I know!!!, wish I had the room to take all the fish with me but I take what I can
__________________

__________________
Party Animal!!!!
Spokesman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.