what GPH should a 1 inch overflow handle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BillyZ

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm experimenting with a DIY overflow (pictures will come once it works!) and I'm concerned about the flow i'm getting. I'm using 1 inch PVC but.. I'm using a Mag 9 as a test pump and the pump is winning hands down in about 4-5 seconds.

Is my overflow carp or am I simply expecting too much of a 1 inch pipe?

Thanks fellas!

PS... anyone happen to have an honest to goodness fluid dynamics mathimatical formula to determine that?

600 GPH is about it. You may squeeze 700 out of it but the tube will be submerged.

ok, that actually makes me feel a little better then! That Mag 9.5 is pumping a lot more than that right now (it's in a bucket on the floor next to the tank so the head is only about 3-4 feet)

no luck on a mathimatical formula?

Found this at:
http://www.pondkits.com/pond-resources/technical.html#Pipe/Tubing gph

The chart seems higher than normal to me - what do you guys think I dunno

deserves a field test....

Pipe/Tubing gph

1/2' size: Up to 300gph
3/4" size: Up to 500gph
1" size: Up to 800gph
1 1/4" size: Up to 1500gph
1 1/2" size: Up to 2300gph
2" size: Up to 5000gph

I agree, a formula would be handy, I'll keep looking around

Woo hoo I'm gonna go buy some Iwakis and some 2" tubing and go 5000GPH in my 55G!! LOL :D

that chart seems about right

from my tests, I've found that 3/4" can handle two maxijet 1000's (about 500-520 gph), but could not handle a single 750 gph pump

1.5 inch could handle 2 maxi1000's and a 750 gph, and still had room to spare- but I ran out of pumps to test further.

I haven't built a 1" yet, but I'd think 900 would be slightly above it's capacity

do you have room to add a second drain? that should help maters greatly.

Thanks a ton folks!

I think i'm basically going to add a second unit to the system. I'll post some pics tonight when I get home... I've basically built a boxless overflow... i like to call it...
[center:e242dfa074]The Z-Flow[/center:e242dfa074]
:wink: cause it looks just like a Z... when you stretch out the parts, and look at it sideways, and cover it with a piece of paper with a Z on it :roll:

Back
Top Bottom