What kind of paint should I use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Krypt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just finished building the frame of my new stand and I was curious what kind of paint everyone uses? Reason I ask is the stand is made of pressure treated wood to fend off rotting and I want to prevent any of the chemicals from getting in the sump via condensation and dripping back in. Are we talking Krylon type stuff? or should I be looking more into the staining area.

I stained mine (3 coats) and it's held up pretty well.

The inside of the stand I coated with Kilz because I knew that area would be getting wet constantly.

I decided to go with Kilz primer/sealer, followed by black krylon outdoor paint with a clear sealer. Hopefully it works out well.

It really depends on what you want the stand to look like. If you want natural wood, stain and varnish. If you want a painted look, use an oil-based paint. Personally, I'd paint the inside of an enclosed stand white to reflect light better when you're trying to work under the tank.

I used Rustoleum brand Gloss Black paint for my stand. Been a couple years and it is still holding up nicely. I'd say it really depends on if you want the grain to show through - then use stain.

I bought a stand painted already. Still added 2 coats of polyurethane to all of the innards where water would or likely contact it.

Back
Top Bottom