Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-20-2005, 06:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to oorob00
What lighting for a 220gallon

I have a 220 gallon tank that i am setting up. Right now i just have 2 48" florescent lights in a fixture from Home depot. This gives off ok light but i am looking for a little more. What type of lights should i use and were should i get them thanks. BTW my tank is 72*24*30.

Old 01-20-2005, 07:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

IMO, unless you're planning a high tech FW planted tank, the lights you have can be positioned to your liking. What are your plans for such an awesome tank?

Old 01-20-2005, 08:39 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Likely a SW setup, no? It will depend on whether you will try to keep corals and whatnot.

AHSupply is a great resource for lighting that is affordable and superior quality for the DIY'er. Hellolights.com is another place to look, but it will depend on your plans, of course.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 09:05 PM   #4

I am doing a WF setup with this one. I was going to do a SW but that is a major PITA and cost too much. I am going to get a fresh water ray, a silver Arowana and a couple other fish. But i just dont know about the lighting.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:13 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

What kind of rim does it have? Is there a center brace? You might like to get two separate fixtures that fit into the lip created by the top rim and the center brace, with glass tops to control evaporation and splashing. Measure the space on each side and look for fixtures that length.

I am really enjoying the Current USA Satellite fixture I recently purchased, as it has integral moon lights that are so cool in the dark, and the PC lighting is great. This fixture has half actinic, which shows off the colors of fish so much better than the typical PC lighting I have for plants. This is not a planted tank so I could experiment a little. They are similar to Coralife but WAY cheaper. This is where I got mine http://marineandreef.com/shoppro/power_satellite.html
Old 01-20-2005, 09:50 PM   #6

What do u meen by rim? It is a perfecto tank with a oak finish to it. It has 3 sections to it each are 24x24 and have glass tops on each. I also have a conapy which has the light fixture on it right now. I has two mounting points to mount the fixture. Here are a couple of pics.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mount_left.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	272   Click image for larger version

Name:	mount_left.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	273  

Old 01-20-2005, 10:00 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

(newbie) A proper reflector would help greatly. AHSupply has well reviewed reflectors -- Travis Simonson said great things in the planted forum recently, in addition to TankGirl's suggestion above and other member's in the archive. You could keep the 48" fixture where it is, and add two 36" fixtures (side by side with three mounts: left, center, right per TankGirl's suggestion) w/ proper reflectors in front of it, if you'd rather move forward than retrofit. Just a thought.

wet.biggiantnerds.com
czcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 11:57 PM   #8

Also i wasnt planning on keeping that fixture. I just had it in my garage and wanted to put some light in there. So I was thinking about the Dual Satellite 48 inch with the 2 lunar lights on the site that tankgirl suggested. Any comments on that one?
Old 01-21-2005, 12:07 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Okay - those pics are very helpful - since you have a canopy I really suggest you go to AHSupply.com and mount something in your canopy. It is perfect for this application and you won't have to spend a whole lot to achieve the desired results.

When I was talking about the rim I meant the sections where your glass tops fit - if you did not have a canopy you would use one light fixture per glass top. The canopy means you have a lot more options, and it is a great looking setup, BTW.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:25 AM   #10

Ok i just checked out the ahsupply.com and it looks great. I was looking at the 96watt lights and my question is how many do i need? They sell kits for 1,2,3,4 or 6 lights. I was think of either the 3,4 or 6 lamp kit. But i am leaning more toward the 4 light kit because the 6 light kit is $300. Would the 4 lamp kit be enought or too much?

Tags
20 gallon, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com