Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-13-2014, 11:08 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Krylon paint can be easily taken off with a razor

Old 03-14-2014, 09:43 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Plastidip. It sprays on like spray paint. And if you want to remove it, you just start the peel with a razor and then you can peel it off by hand.

t4runnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:37 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Plastidip would be perfect! Although limited in colors in spray cans.
Current: 50 gal freshwater. Soil substrate, sand/gravel cap, live planted tank, Super HW-302 filter. 2 blue line rasbora, 3 red serpae tetra, 1 black molly, 2 koi angelfish, 1 plecostomus, 2 blue dwarf gourami, 1 common musk turtle named Leo.
vexxiang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:36 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

For those of you following this thread. I was in Walmart the other day (possibly the worst place to get fish) and noticed something interesting about their aquariums. The aquariums were bare (with no sand) and the bottom glass was painted with a sand texture similar to these:

Amazon.com: Krylon Natural Stone Decorative Finishes Aerosol 12 oz. Jasper: Home Improvement

Krylon K18203 Make It Stone! Textured Aerosol Spray Paint, 12-Ounce, Travertine Tan - - Amazon.com

Krylon 3703 Natural Stone Decorative Aerosol, 12-Ounce, Limestone Finish - Spray Paints - Amazon.com

Amazon.com: Krylon K18202 Make It Stone! Textured Aerosol Spray Paint, 12-Ounce, Charcoal Sand: Home Improvement

Amazon.com: Rust-Oleum 7994830 Stone Creations Spray, Sienna Stone, 12-Ounce: Home Improvement

I figure this may be informative for those of you who are into spray painting and keep some bare tanks but want something to beautify the look. These paints are not like plasti-dip, and are difficult to remove when you get tired of them. Since this is just the bottom glass panel, it will be covered by sand anyway if you become more serious about appearance (or wood chips if you end up using it for small mammals someday).
Old 04-13-2014, 08:23 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tank of the Month Award

PlastiDip would be my preferred option, VERY very easy to removed and come in a huge variety of colours

Due to price restrictions (PlastiDip is expensive as here) i use matt black enamel spray paint, not too difficult to remove if you want to
Old 04-15-2014, 11:27 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What paint for background?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedogz View Post
I used benjamin moore and its been on there for years
Is this spray paint or paint you use with a brush?
Old 04-15-2014, 11:30 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What paint for background?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alasse View Post
PlastiDip would be my preferred option, VERY very easy to removed and come in a huge variety of colours

Due to price restrictions (PlastiDip is expensive as here) i use matt black enamel spray paint, not too difficult to remove if you want to
I just looked up Home Depot and man o man that stuff is expensive $35+ a can....
I did see one person on this site use the spray paint for truck bed liners do not recall the brand/name for that product they said they bought it at an automotive store.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:41 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilliams View Post
Is this spray paint or paint you use with a brush?
Its regular paint just put it on with a low nap roller. I bought it in the quart size can
Old 04-15-2014, 01:36 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Plasti-dip is less than $10 a spray can in amazon.com. My local Home Depot only had color white Plati-Dip and it was about $12.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 04-15-2014, 02:24 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah. The lowes here in Ann Arbor Michigan has 11oz black spray can of plastidip for $9. One entire can covered the back if my standard 75g tank.

t4runnr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
background, paint

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com