What paint for background?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maridia

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm tired of seeing the back wall of my fish tanks and I don't like the poster backgrounds. I would love to paint the entire back blue or black. What kind of paint would be safe? One is uninhibited, the other 2 tanks have fish. I would paint the outside of course.

I painted mine with black tremclad over a year ago and mine is still fine

Would typical acrylic paint work, if non toxic?

I would get a film or paper because you might want to change it later. Paint isn't easy to change.

I put my tank in front of a window with a tinted back so they can feel close to glorious freedom.

Plastidip. It sprays on like spray paint. And if you want to remove it, you just start the peel with a razor and then you can peel it off by hand.

For those of you following this thread. I was in Walmart the other day (possibly the worst place to get fish) and noticed something interesting about their aquariums. The aquariums were bare (with no sand) and the bottom glass was painted with a sand texture similar to these:

Amazon.com: Krylon Natural Stone Decorative Finishes Aerosol 12 oz. Jasper: Home Improvement

Krylon K18203 Make It Stone! Textured Aerosol Spray Paint, 12-Ounce, Travertine Tan - - Amazon.com

Krylon 3703 Natural Stone Decorative Aerosol, 12-Ounce, Limestone Finish - Spray Paints - Amazon.com

Amazon.com: Krylon K18202 Make It Stone! Textured Aerosol Spray Paint, 12-Ounce, Charcoal Sand: Home Improvement

Amazon.com: Rust-Oleum 7994830 Stone Creations Spray, Sienna Stone, 12-Ounce: Home Improvement

I figure this may be informative for those of you who are into spray painting and keep some bare tanks but want something to beautify the look. These paints are not like plasti-dip, and are difficult to remove when you get tired of them. Since this is just the bottom glass panel, it will be covered by sand anyway if you become more serious about appearance (or wood chips if you end up using it for small mammals someday).

PlastiDip would be my preferred option, VERY very easy to removed and come in a huge variety of colours

Due to price restrictions (PlastiDip is expensive as here) i use matt black enamel spray paint, not too difficult to remove if you want to

PlastiDip would be my preferred option, VERY very easy to removed and come in a huge variety of colours

Due to price restrictions (PlastiDip is expensive as here) i use matt black enamel spray paint, not too difficult to remove if you want to

I just looked up Home Depot and man o man that stuff is expensive $35+ a can....
I did see one person on this site use the spray paint for truck bed liners do not recall the brand/name for that product they said they bought it at an automotive store.

Plasti-dip is less than $10 a spray can in amazon.com. My local Home Depot only had color white Plati-Dip and it was about $12.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah. The lowes here in Ann Arbor Michigan has 11oz black spray can of plastidip for $9. One entire can covered the back if my standard 75g tank.

Back
Top Bottom