what silicone to use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ilostnemo

Aquarium Advice Addict
ive heard that the ge window and door silicone without mildew and algacide stuff will work on a aquarium but i was wondering if anyone has actually used it? i dont want people just sayin it should and it be the cause of my tank to crash :(

I used it on my 72 gallon bowfront for a complete reseal that was 4 months ago. Works great. I made sure to let it cure until I could not smell it anymore and then I filled the tank and flushed it out before I added anything permenant

that is correct.... i'm pretty sure it is the GE I, just make sure it is 100% pure silicone and makes no mention of anti mildew or mold additives... also make sure you get clear unless you want white or black. Make sure you let it cure until you cant smell the silicone smell anymore (i would also do an extra 24-48 hours afterwards just so you're 100% sure its cured) and you'll be fine

well curing will be fine itll be another week til tank sees any water. and i wonder if id have to re fill and empty again. this tank weighs 200 pounds without water lol

I have this question as well, but when I was looking at the bottle of GE silicone I, I read on the bottle that it said 'not for use where FDA compliance is necessary or aquariums'. So this is a bit of a conflict. I've read plenty where people say GE silicone I is safe, and then I've read others that say dont use anything that isnt FDA compliant. These statements seem to be exclusive as you cant have both.

(bottle was stock no 012a)

thousands have used GE I over the years, including me. I have others available that say ideal for aquariums. You can't go by "100% silicone" on the tube, as GE II is 100% silicone as is the kitchen and bathroom versions which have mildewcide.

Yeah.. i use GE Silicone I as well. It is aquarium safe. The reason it says on the tube, "not for use below the water line or aquariums," is because a while back, GE was working in compliance with AGA tanks, and another big aquarium manufacturer. All of the larger tanks 100G+ that used the GE silicone were beginning to fail, and split under pressure of the water. They no longer have that partnership with AGA or any other aquarium company, and in order to protect themselves, they say not to use it on aquariums.

In light of this, i wouldn't recommend using it to reseal a tank.. if it's a large tank, but if you want to use it to reseal one glass pane, or to secure baffles in a sump, i say go for it. I used it on baffles in my sump and this stuff is very strong and durable. You just need to let it cure for the amount of time specified on the bottle.

Also, just a little word of advice to all that may consider using GE I Silicone, if after a while, you start to notice the color of the silicone turn a yellowish color, do NOT worry. It happens to some people that use it, and sometimes it doesn't. It happened to me, but the color fades out in a few weeks to the normal clear color. However, the GE I silicone WILL turn a greenish/blueish color if there is copper present in your water... so beware if you have inverts or a reef tank and you see your silicone turn that color.

well my tank is 58 gallon and all i need the silicone for was because the po didnt clean it to well and algae had gotten under some of the silicone so i just cut that off and covered and the silicone that wasnt cut out.

Yeah.. i use GE Silicone I as well. It is aquarium safe. The reason it says on the tube, "not for use below the water line or aquariums," is because a while back, GE was working in compliance with AGA tanks, and another big aquarium manufacturer. All of the larger tanks 100G+ that used the GE silicone were beginning to fail, and split under pressure of the water. They no longer have that partnership with AGA or any other aquarium company, and in order to protect themselves, they say not to use it on aquariums.

Thanks a bunch. Nice to have a detailed explanation on this. Couldnt find anything elsewhere.:D

Back
Top Bottom