what size sump tank do I need

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

e_murray

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi All,

I decided to convert my wetdry into a sump and it didnt work out to well..

So with that said, I want to make a sump. I have a 100 gallon display tank and I think I can possibly squeeze a 55 gal under there.. Maybe...

The more water volume the better right?

or should I even bother? I just plan to put the LR that is running in my garage in there, (just to get it out of the garage)...

Any suggestions?

I would add the sump. The best type of design so far is to have about 4 sections. 1st. With filter sponge or filter sock. Where you do the filtering of large material. Second is with the protein skimmer. Third is a fuge with a dsb(deep sand bed) liverock and macro algae. And forth is the return. The section from the skimmer and the fuge should I've a bubble trap. Now this is a basic design but remember always put the skimmer and mechanical filtration before the biological filtration.

+1. The best sump is the biggest you can reasonably afford to use. One thing with a 55 to thing about it look at your current stand (if you are keeping it) and make sure you can even get a 55 under there and get your equipment (like your skimmer) into it as well. A 55 is a tall tank.

Edit: I plan to run a 55g tank as my sump for my new 90 but I plan on building my stand to make sure it will work. Others told me about the height issue as I didn't think about it but will address in my stand.

Back
Top Bottom