Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-10-2006, 07:05 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
I would not use MDF, not only because of the water absorption issue but also the chemical glues. It will not stand up anywhere near as long as you want it to. I can shop grade plywood here, 3/4 inch for $12 per 4'x8' sheet. Any warping from heat and cold and you will have water absorption and MDF will not last long.

If I ever build my own, I will not use plywood nor MDF, I will use alder or pine.

fish_4_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 08:06 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
I would not use MDF, not only because of the water absorption issue but also the chemical glues. It will not stand up anywhere near as long as you want it to
MDF will last if you look after it. Much like anything really.
I wonder why 90% of kitchens, bathroom and laundry vanities are built with mdf and chipboard?
I will still be using mdf, but unlike kitchens etc, mine will be totally sealed.
Particularly the edges as this is the bit you dont want to get wet.

Dimidiochromis compressiceps,
Astatotilapia latifasciata
Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos
Labidochromis caeruleus
Cynotilapia afra 'Cobue'
Pseudotropheus acei 'Msuli Point'
Aulunocara stuartgranti 'chipoka'
Labidochromis freibergi
Oreochromis mossambicus
Etroplus suratensis
DeFeKt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 02:43 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
you suppose to seal off the splash with silicone and they seal up the edges pretty good with a glue on the counter tops.. and yea, its MDF..

I would say MDF is fine.. (I would go with whatever I had hany or whatever is cheaper but thats just me)
greenmaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 09:13 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular
If you seal the hood up properly you can use anything. However, MDFs structures doesnt lend well to sealing, it will just keep soaking up the sealer and never develop an outer layer. Plywood seals pretty well you just have to make sure to fill in the gaps in the ends. Easiest to work with will be solid lumber. Cut the pieces, seal them before assembling, assemble, and then seal again. Or for a little different look you can fiberglass it after fairing the wood, and if you want to get rid of the weave lines bondo it, and paint it.

It might also be a good idea to seal off the inside of the hood by placing a sheet of plexiglass in the bottom ( cut a groove into it to sit in).
wierdkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 06:06 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
MDF is also really, really heavy....something to think about if you have to remove the canopy for maintenance, replacing light bulbs, etc. I did a mosaic on mdf and it was a royal pain to seal enough so that I could grout over it. It gets used for kitchens and bathrooms because it is cheap, sturdy and gets covered by something else for water protection and looks, but watch out if it gets wet!

Polyurethane is great for sealing, but if you really want to go hard core, particularly on plywood, seal all the pieces with epoxy, then assemble and paint. Boats are built this way, and they get the worst water and UV exposure you could imagine! Sheet ply boats sealed with epoxy will last as long as fiberglass with proper maintenance.

newfound77951 is offline   Reply With Quote

canopy, wood

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com