What's the right PVC cement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BillyZ

Aquarium Advice Addict
Was picking up some pieces to do a closed loop and stopped short at the cement shelf... there were a few different kinds to choose from and I realized I had not researched that part of the project. Surprisingly enough I couldn't find much in the threads here about which cements have been tried successfuly.

Any recomendations or warnings? Obviously I'm looking for a good seal without leaking any toxins into my tank.

Thanks!

i done some pvc works with my tank, i used the cheapest type. so far not harm done. I also saw few lfs used the same type i used. i guess once the cement is properly cure (before it expose to the tank water), it should be ok (but i still recomend you flush it properly 1st before using them).

go with Oatey Clear primer and glue

just as the name says, it is crystal clear.

several of my pvc connections aren't even welded, but just hammered together tightly, and haven't leaked a drip ... makes it a little easier to take apart than getting out the hack saw!

I used Oatey primer and glue also, seems to work fine and you should be able to find it at HD. Theres 2 different if not more types though: purple primer is what was recommended to me and oatey in the orange can. HTH

I dont konw what i use. I just got some stuff off the shelf. WHen I apply my glue I apply it on to the male connector and apply just enough to coat the front 1" or so of the connection. You dont need it to be dripping wet.

Insert the male into the female and then give a slight twist. Note: you will have maybe 20sec or so before the glue starts to setup and melt the two PVC sections together so there is very little room for error.

I recommend dry fitting everything together first and then slowly glueing the sections together. Once everything is glued up let it all sit for maybe 30-45min before turning on the water.

Like Gordon some of my PVC joints are not glued at all. After a years operation there is some minor salt creep comming from around the joints but nothing major. I never glue the sections taht are in the tank as this allows me to adjust the flow direction by simply turning the elbow thats in the water.

Thanks for all the input guys... I'll pick up some "O'Tay panky" glue this weekend along with the first shipment of wood for the Aqua-Center :!:

btw... I got cordless powertools for my b-day... I don't think my wife realizes what she's done! :twisted:

Any PVC cement would work.

afterall, even the cheapest stuff has to be safe since it has contact with our drinking water

well ... what is "safe" for human consumption is not nesecarily safe for fish.

look at copper and aluminum, neither are toxic to humans, even babies, but both are highly toxic to most fish.

chemicals in the glue could be certified by the 'government' to be safe for humans, but I doubt they test for fish. It would be a good idea to let any glue you use dry for at least 24 hrs in the air, before running water through it, just to be safe?

Any clear PVC glue will work just fine. The clear is a medium glue and will take a few minutes to set up. Letting it dry for 24 hours, as suggested by justDIY, might be a good idea. I've never done that and have had no problems, but it's still a good idea. The blue (sometimes call Rain-R-Shine) is a fast setting glue. You can use it but it makes an ugly joint and it really stinks. The orange glue, while it will work for PVC, is designed for CPVC. CPVC is the tan colored pipe that is certified for hot water. You can use CPVC if you wish, but it's smaller than PVC...same dimensions as copper pipe. One thing about CPVC...the 1/2 will make a tight fit on the output of a Maxi Jet powerhead.
Either clear or purple primer will work fine...the purple stains the pipe, your fingers, the family dog, and anything else it gets on. I would use primer as it makes for a much better seal. JMHO.

Back
Top Bottom